News HighlightsPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/news/read/?id=old-1408387676&paper=topstories
Parking Changes on 'Move-in' Day
University Facilities requests that faculty, staff and administrators adjust parking plans during student move-in.
Minnesota State University, Mankato Media Relations Announcement, 8-18-2014
August 25, 2014
TO: Campus Community
FROM: David Cowan, Parking Advisory Committee Chairperson
RE: Residence Hall Move-In Day – Traffic Control’s Biggest Challenge – Gold Permit Holders Displaced – “Minnesota Nice” Rules
Thursday, Residence Hall Move-In Day, is the best time to project our version of “Minnesota Nice” – it is a stressful day for the residence hall students moving in and their loved ones who help shoulder the boxes. It is not a “reach” to predict that 4,000 vehicles will hit the campus core.
For you folks in key parking lots, I respectfully ask that you relocate for the day. Use our distant lots (Lot 20, 21, 22, and 23) if you can and walk to work that day. There will be four large shuttle buses that you can hop on but they well may be stuffed with students and parents.
Traffic will be slow moving so avoid main access roads like Stadium Road and Val Imm Drive. Certain Gold permit holders and summer free parkers from these following areas are asked to relocate for the day (PLEASE SEE MAP AT BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE):
- McElroy Curbside Gold Permit Holders – Relocate to the Visitors Paylot free of charge or Trafton Curbside Gold (Maywood East).
- Maywood Curbside Gold Permit Holders – Relocate to Visitors Paylot free of charge.
- Rugby Curbside Gold Permit Holders (West Road and South Road by Sears) – Relocate to the Visitors Paylot free of charge.
- Lot 11a Gold Permit Holders – Relocate to Visitors Paylot free of charge.
- Lot 12 Gold Permit Holders - Relocate to Visitors Paylot free of charge.
- Lot 16 Gold and Green permit parkers – Vacate that entire lot, Gold relocate to Lot 5 or Lots 20, 21, 22, or 23, Green to Lots 20, 21, 22 and 23.
- Summer Free Parkers – Relocate to Lots 20, 21,22, and 23 (Free Lot) across from Blakeslee Stadium.
Wednesday Afternoon – Vacate these lots or face the "Dreaded Tow":
- Lot 13 (Crawford) – Vacate Lot 13 by 3 p.m. or face a tow.
- Lot 14 (back of Crawford) – Vacate Lot 14 by 3 p.m. or face a tow.
- Lot 15 (front of McElroy) – Vacate Lot 15 by 8 a.m. or face a tow.
- Lot 16 (Performing Arts) – Vacate Lot 16 by 5 p.m. or face a tow.
You are free to use the three large buses which will ferry residence hall students back and forth – no charge, of course. Those who have received their 2014-15 parking permits should remember that they don’t kick in until Monday, Aug. 25, the first day of classes.
Please be careful and patient. If you see me on the street, chances are you are in the wrong spot. I’ll be working the access points to the residence halls and mixing it up with those customers
David Cowan, Facilities Services Director
Wiecking Center, Room 358
Minnesota State University, Mankato 56001
State Cell: 507-327-8512