News HighlightsPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/news/read/?id=old-1463682333&paper=topstories
Enhancements to Future Maverick Program Announced
Two new pathway options have been created for Future Maverick program between Minnesota State Mankato and South Central College.
Minnesota State University, Mankato Media Relations Office News Release, 5-19-2016
MANKATO, Minn. – Minnesota State University, Mankato and South Central College (SCC) announced today that two new pathway options have been created as part of the Future Maverick program that the two institutions established in March 2015.
A pathway in communication studies has been established that will help students in that program of study easily transition on to Minnesota State Mankato to pursue their bachelor’s degree in communication studies after receiving their associate of arts degree from SCC. Degrees in communication studies help students develop skills necessary for success in a variety of careers. Many graduates go into business-related areas, including sales, human resources and management. Communication studies graduates also often find employment in public relations, marketing, training and a variety of other fields.
In addition, South Central College recently introduced an associate of fine arts in visual arts degree that was specifically created to provide students a pathway to ensure transfer to Minnesota State Mankato to pursue a bachelor of fine arts in art degree. This pathway option was created through an articulation agreement, a type of agreement that ensures students in more specialized programs are able to transfer smoothly from one school to the other.
“These additional transfer pathways with South Central College illustrate Minnesota State Mankato’s ongoing commitment to ensuring a seamless transition for students who wish to transfer to our university,” said Richard Davenport (pictured on left in photo), president of Minnesota State Mankato. “We’re pleased to announce these enhancements to the Future Maverick program and look forward to continuing our collaboration with South Central College.”
“When we established the Future Maverick program a year ago, we knew it would be always growing and ever expanding,” said Annette Parker (pictured on right in photo), president of South Central College. “In the spirit of collaboration embodied in the Future Maverick program, we are pleased to be able to bring these new academic pathways and initiatives to our students!”
Through the ongoing Future Maverick program partnership, Minnesota State Mankato and South Central College have pledged to continue working together to provide clear pathways to student success. Other initiatives are also underway, including:
- A new web page has been launched at www.mnsu.edu/scc, where students can sign up to participate in the Future Maverick program.
- In fall 2016, the two institutions will pilot a joint presentation during South Central College’s student advising & registration (STAR) sessions to encourage students to enroll in the Future Maverick program. Staff from Minnesota State Mankato will be available to provide transfer information and materials during South Central College’s STAR sessions.
- A new event module has been developed so that interested students can directly arrange for a meeting with the transfer liaison on the South Central College campuses during scheduled times.
- Minnesota State Mankato and South Central College admissions offices have created a system for tracking students interested in being future Mavericks.
- Minnesota State Mankato and South Central College will meet periodically to assess program success.
Both Minnesota State University, Mankato and South Central College are part of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system, which comprises seven universities and 30 community and technical colleges.