News HighlightsPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/news/read/?id=old-1538149744&paper=topstories
Sesquicentennial Week Celebration Begins with Homecoming Parade, Concludes with Oct. 6 Birthday Bash
Oct. 6 Birthday Bash is open to the public.
Minnesota State University, Mankato Media Relations Office News Release, 9-28-2018
Mankato, Minn. – Minnesota State University, Mankato’s “Sesquicentennial Week” celebration starts Saturday with a downtown pancake breakfast from 7:30-10 a.m., followed by the University’s first Homecoming parade in downtown Mankato since 1970. The parade will begin at 10 a.m., and the Maverick Homecoming football game against St. Cloud State is at 2 p.m. at Blakeslee Stadium.
After Saturday’s parade and football game, the public is welcome to join Minnesota State Mankato in continuing to celebrate the University’s 150th anniversary with a weeklong schedule of events that concludes with a Saturday, Oct. 6 “Birthday Bash” in Centennial Student Union. A partial listing of public events follows.
Sunday, Sept. 30
- 3 p.m. – Sesquicentennial Musical Showcase concert, Halling Recital Hall
Monday, Oct. 1
- 12 p.m. – Founder’s Day celebration, Centennial Student Union mall (CSU Lincoln Lounge is rain location). There will be free cupcakes and remarks from University President Richard Davenport and Student Government President MeMe Cronin.
- 2-2:40 p.m. – Presentation on University’s different eras by William E. Lass, a professor emeritus of history, in Centennial Student Union’s Ostrander Auditorium. At 2:45 p.m., Lass will sign copies of his book, “Minnesota State University, Mankato 1868-2018: A Sesquicentennial History.”
Tuesday, Oct. 2
- 7-9 p.m. – Showing of Documentary Film “Two Weeks in May” in Ostrander Auditorium, followed by a panel discussion.
Thursday, Oct. 4
- 2 p.m. – Maverick Icons: Leaders with Big Ideas (ticketed event at Verizon Center)
Saturday, Oct. 6
- 7 p.m. – The Birthday Bash is a family-friendly celebration that is open to the public. All activities are free, including games, a talent show, two laser shows outside in the mall Fountain and more. Free popcorn will be available from 7-10 p.m. and free cupcakes will be served in the Centennial Student Union Ballroom Foyer at 10 p.m. Food will be available for purchase at the Mav Ave Food Court.
Birthday Bash Schedule – updates will be posted online here.
- 6-9 p.m. Mav Ave Food Court open (food available for purchase)
- 7-9:15 p.m. Family Feud (Centennial Student Union Ballroom)
Bingo (CSU lower-level Flexible Programming Space)
- 7-10 p.m. Bowling, Billiards, Karaoke (CSU Maverick Bullpen)
- 7:45 p.m. Laser Show (Fountain on CSU Mall)
- 7:45-9:15 p.m. Talent Show (Ostrander Auditorium)
- 9:15-10:30 p.m. Time Machine Dance (CSU Ballroom)
- 9:30 p.m. Maverick Movie (Ostrander Auditorium)
- 10:30 p.m. Laser Show (Fountain on CSU Mall)
More information about Minnesota State Mankato’s Sesquicentennial celebration is available online.
Minnesota State Mankato, a comprehensive university with approximately 15,000 students, is part of the Minnesota State system, which includes 30 colleges and seven universities.