Online & Extended Learner OrientationPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/newstudent/orientation/extended/
This information is for Extended Learners (Edina, Normandale, Mesabi Range Community and Technical College, etc.) Online Degree Program, and military students serving out of state or abroad only.
- Extended Learners are students taking their entire degree online or at off-campus sites. Click here for a list of off campus programs.
- Online Degree Completion students are completing their entire degree online. Click here for a list of online degree programs.
- Military students are students who are currently serving our country and are out of state or abroad during available orientation programs for their starting term.
Students completing a degree online or taking classes at one of our extended learning campus locations are required to complete an online orientation program prior to registering for classes. The online orientation program includes information about Student Financial Services, student ID, General Education requirements, academic advising, and more. Please follow the steps below to register for the online orientation program.
Step 1: Know your StarID
StarID is your campus username and password. Most students activated StarID during the admissions application process. You will need your StarID and password to register for an orientation program.
- Your StarID includes 2 letters, 4 numbers, following by 2 letters (ex. ab1234cd).
- It is important to bring your StarID and password to orientation because you will need it to register for classes!
If you forgot your StarID and password or need to activate your StarID you will need your TechID, SSN, and/or the personal email address you used to apply for admission.
- Go to the StarID website. Read the information, and then click the "Forgot StarID and Password" or "Activate StarID."
- Choose either "Tech ID" (you will need your SSN for this option) or "Personal Email" option to activate your StarID.
**If you choose the Personal Email option, a verification code will be sent to that email address. Enter that code in the "Verification Code" link on the StarID activation page. Verification codes are only valid for one hour.
- You will be asked to set your StarID password once you gain access to the system.
- After successfuly setting your StarID password, you can find you StarID by scrolling to the top of the page. Your StarID will include 2 letters, 4 numbers, following by 2 letters (ex. ab1234cd).
If you are having trouble reseting or activating your StarID using the "TechID or Personal Email" option, please call the Registration Help Desk at 507-389-2252.
Please note that when calling for help, the student much initiate the phone call as we are unable to release information related to a student's record to parents, family or guests.
Step 3: Register for Orientation
Register for Orientation using the link above. There is a $25 registration fee. Please have your StarID, password, and credit card ready.
- You will typically receive an orientation invitation in the mail. After you receive this invitation, go to the website above and register for orientation.
- You will be prompted with a variety of questions. After answering those questions, you will be directed to the appropriate orientation for your needs.
Step 4: Complete the Online Orientation Module
After registering for Online Orientation, you will receive an email confirmation with a link to the online module program.
- Successful completion the orientation module is required to register for classes. It takes up to five (5) business days for your orientation hold to be removed after successfully registering and completing Online Orientation. Once your orientation hold is lifted, it will no longer appear on your E-Services dashboard.
- If you have any questions regarding Online Orientation, please contact the Office of New Student and Family Programs at (507) 389-5498.
Step 5: Register for Classes
- View the Registration Handout for basic information on how to use E-services to register for classes.
Questions about any of the Online/Extended Education Programs should be directed to the College of Extended Education. Location specific contact information can be found at http://www.mnsu.edu/ext/contact.html.
Refunds are issued only with a cancellation in writing or by phone (507-389-5498) at least five (5) business days prior to the day of the Orientation program. Those who do not give five business days’ notice, or do not complete the module, will be charged the entire program fee.