BackgroundPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/planning/masterplan/campuswide/tablecontents/background.html
Minnesota State University, Mankato (MSU) is located in the south-central region of the state on a bluff above the Minnesota River Approximately 75 miles from the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul. The Mankato area is a regional economic center with a population of approximately 50,000. MSU was founded in 1868 as Mankato Normal School with 27 students. Now a comprehensive university, MSU serves approximately 13,000 students. Most are Minnesota residents, but the University's strong academic programs and excellent faculty attract students throughtout the United States and from more than 60 other countries. Faculty and staff number approximately 1,300. The original "Valley" campus was located in downtown Mankato. In 1959 the first buildings were completed on the new "Highland" campus, and in 1978-1979 the campus was consolidated into the Highland area. Currently total square footage on the MSU campus is approximately 2.5 million. Alumni now number approximately 90,000.
The 2001 Facilities Master Plan provides the framework to accommodate continued growth within the well-established physical patterns of the campus.