Land Use PrecinctsPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/planning/masterplan/campuswide/tablecontents/landuseprecincts.html
- Relocate academic functions from the Wiecking Center to the expanded academic precinct in the campus core. The Wiecking Center can be in-filled with support and service functions that do not require proximity within the campus core.
- Expand the academic precinct to the west of the Trafton Science Center to Warren Street using the Arboretum as the central open space feature.
- Expand the academic precinct to the west of the Performing Arts Center and Andreas Theatre to Ellis Avenue North. This will allow for the in-fill of a new fine arts building adjacent to the other arts.
- Expand the support precinct to the east of Memorial Library and Centennial Student Union. There are three significant building sites in this area.
- Expand the student residential precinct to the north of the Andreas Theatre to Birchwood Street. This would require the University to acquire additional land to replace parking that would need to be relocated if student housing is expanded.
- Expand student housing to the south of Stadium Road and west of Ellis Avenue. This recommendation is consistent with the Campus Housing Study.
- Renovate/redevelop the Gage Tower Complex. The Master Plan recommends three options for the University to consider:
- Remove towers and redevelop site for recreation, support or student residential use.
- Renovate buildings for support functions and/or conference facilities
- Potential parking area
Future planning of this area is directly linked to the housing study which recommended new student housing and the renovation and expansion of existing housing associated with Carkoski Commons.