Kevin J. Filter, Associate Professor
Degree, institution, year awarded
Ph.D., University of Oregon, 2004
Area(s) of specialization
- School Psychology
- School-wide Positive Behavior Support
- Functional Behavioral Assessment
- Validity of functional behavioral assessment in schools
- Measurement of positive social behavior
- Effective interventions in school-wide positive behavior support
- High quality and low quality implementation of schoolwide positive behavior support
- Current vs. preferred roles of school psychologists
- How effective are function-based behavior interventions relative to non-function-based behavior interventions?
- Filter, K. J., & Alvarez, M. E. (2012). Functional behavioral assessment: A three-tiered prevention model. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- McIntosh, K., Filter, K. J., McKay, L. D., Sugai, G., & Ryan, C. (2010). Principles of sustainable prevention: Designing scale-up of school-wide positive behavior support to promote durable systems, Psychology in the Schools, 47, 5-21.
- Filter, K. J., & Horner, R.H. (2009). Function-based academic interventions for problem behavior. Education and Treatment of Children, 32, 1-19.
- Filter, K. J., Tincani, M. J., & Fung, D. (2009). Professionals’ views of positive behavior support and behavior analysis. Journal of Positive Behavior Interventions, 11 (4), 222-234.
- Filter, K. J., McKenna, M. K., Benedict, E. A., Horner, R. H., Todd, A. W., & Watson, J. (2007). Check in/ Check out: A Post-Hoc Evaluation of an Efficient, Secondary-Level Targeted Intervention for Reducing Problem Behaviors in Schools. Education and Treatment of Children, 30, 69-84.
- Filter, K. J., Klein, L., Barnes, A., & Anderson, C. (2009). Procedural issues in functional behavioral assessment. Presentation at the 6th Annual Convention for the Association for Positive Behavior Support, Jacksonville, FL.
- Kloos, E., & Filter, K. J. (2008). Minnesota school-wide positive behvaior interventions and supports. Presentation at the 14th Annual International Child and Adolescent Conference, Minneapolis, MN.
- Filter, K. J., Horner, R. H., McKenna, M. K., Todd, A. W., & Fairbanks, S. (2006). Check in/ Check out: Empirical Support for a Secondary-Level, Targeted Intervention. Symposium Presentation at the 3rd Annual Convention for the Association for Positive Behavior Support, Reno, NV.
- Filter, K. J. (2005). The Functional Relationship Between Problem Behavior and Academic Variables. Symposium Presentation at the 37th Annual Convention for the National Association of School Psychologists, Atlanta, GA.
- PSYC 101 Psychology
- PSYC 103 Psychology Today
- PSYC 303 Introduction to Clinical Psychology
- PSYC 4/576 Applied Behavior Analysis
- PSYC 701 Principles and Practices of School Psychology
- PSYC 710 Cognitive Assessment