Academic ForgivenessPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/registrar/acreev.html
Academic forgiveness for undergraduate students is a one-time opportunity to remove prior grades in order to establish a new Grade Point Average (GPA) Academic Forgiveness 2015
A student may petition for academic forgiveness when all of the following conditions are met:
- The student was not enrolled in any Minnesota State Mankato courses for a minimum of 3 consecutive academic years (Fall/Spring-Summer not required).
- Following the absence listed above, the student must demonstrate adequate academic ability by meeting the following conditions:
- Complete a minimum of 24 semester credits in consecutive terms (summer term not required)
- Earn a minimum GPA in each of those terms of a 2.00 and an overall GPA for all of those terms of at least 2.50
Initiating application for Academic Forgiveness
The “Application for Academic Forgiveness” can be found at Academic Forgiveness 2015 and is also available through the Office of the Registrar. Applications should be submitted to the Office of the Registrar at 132 Wigley Adm Center, Mankato, MN 56001.
Transcript/Record Changes following approved application for Academic Forgiveness
- All prior credit-bearing courses will count as earned credits.
- All prior non-credit-bearing courses will not count as earned credits.
- All grades from re-evaluated courses will be displayed on a Minnesota State Mankato transcript, even though they are not included in GPA calculations.
- Academic forgiveness will be noted on the Minnesota State Mankato transcript at the time it occurs
- Once academic forgiveness has been processed, all courses (both transfer and Minnesota State Mankato) completed before the minimum three-year absence from post-secondary education will no longer be computed in the student’s GPA.
Courses required for a major/minor will be considered “passed” and will no longer have a GPA attached to the course. This prevents the courses in a major/minor to automatically “slot” in to DARS (Degree Audit Report System) when a regular grade (A, B, C, D) is required. Students are encouraged to contact the department of their major regarding whether academic forgiveness courses will be accepted in the major/minor. If the department will accept the course(s), a substitution form should be submitted to the Office of the Registrar stating the approval.
Questions concerning academic Forgiveness should be directed to
room: WA 132; phone: 389-6269