shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Visiting Students

Page address:

Visiting students are students enrolled at one Minnesota State institution, but not officially admitted to Minnesota State Mankato, who wish to take classes here.

The Single Registration component of the Students First initiative is intended to allow students who are enrolled at one of the Minnesota State college or universities to take undergraduate courses from another Minnesota State institution without having to apply for admission. Students who wish to seek a degree at MSU, Mankato, e.g. a major, minor, or certificate must apply for regular admission.

Visiting students are eligible to register for up to 18 credits each semester with no more than 22 credits total between all Minnesota State schools. Visiting students will be prevented from registering for courses in which enrollment requests in past semesters have exceeded available seats unless they have permission from the instructor.

Provisions for taking courses at MSU, Mankato as a Visiting Student:

  1. Admitted student at a Minnesota State college or university.
  2. Satisfy MSU, Mankato course prerequisites and requirements.

Enrollment will be denied for any of the following:

  1. Outstanding financial obligation at any other Minnesota State college or university.
  2. Academic suspension at any other Minnesota State college or university.
  3. Student conduct hold.

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How do I check to see if a course is available to a visiting student?
    • Log in to E-Services using your home school tech id and pin/password or StarID/password
    • Click on Courses & Registration
    • Find a Course
    • At the top of the page, look for "To find courses at another college, university, or campus, use the "Advanced Search". Click on Advanced Search.
    • Choose Minnesota State University, Mankato
    • Search for courses the same as you would do at your home school and add the ones you are interested in to your "wish list."
    • The courses in your "wish list" will show "error messages" indicating any issues with registering for the course(s).>
  2. Who can I contact if I have questions regarding error messages or registration questions?

    Registration Help Center
    Located on the first floor of the Wigley Administration Center (WA 132)
    Office hours 8-4:30 academic year 7:30-4:00 summer

  3. When will I know when my registration window opens?

    Check your registration window at MSU, Mankato via E-Services

  4. Who can I contact for billing questions?

    Campus Hub
    Located on the first floor of the Centennial Student Union (CSU 117)

  5. Who do I contact regarding financial aid?

    Contact your Financial Aid Office at your home university.

  6. How do I get a student ID card?

    MavCARD Office
    Located on the first floor of the Centennial Student Union (CSU 117)

  7. What is D2L?

    Desire2Learn is a complete web-based suite of teaching and learning tools that provide course development, delivery and management of online courses. Desire2Learn has been selected by Minnesota State as the approved and recommended Instructional Management System (IMS).

    For more information about Desire2Learn, contact Jeff Henline,, 507-389-2323, or Desire2Learn Support,, 507-389-3295.

  8. How do I get my transfer credits evaluated to see how they would transfer in to MSU, Mankato?

    Credit evaluations are done for students who have applied for admission to MSU, Mankato. They are not necessary for Visiting Students because your home institution evaluates all your coursework. If you wish to apply to MSU, Mankato, go to

  9. Where do I go for academic advising?

    Your academic advisor at your home university can best advise you on how MSU, Mankato's courses fit in to your degree program.

Welcome to Minnesota State University, Mankato! We hope your experience with us is a positive one!


Complete information on and for visiting students can be found in this [PDF] document (326 KiB).

Questions concerning visiting students should be directed to

the Registration Help Center

room:  WA 132; phone:  389-2252