Area Director - McElroy Residence Community
Department of Residential Life
Minnesota State University, Mankato
The Area Director for the McElroy Residence Community is responsible for the student development program and administration of a residence community housing approximately 900 students, including multiple learning communities. Duties: supervise four-five graduate hall directors, an administrative assistant and a desk manager; monitor residence community budget; lead educational programmatic initiatives that support the academic and personal success of students; supervise conduct process in residence community; direct departmental efforts in one of four areas (staff selection, staff training, programming, community development); involvement in departmental and University committees, annual budget development process and policy formation. Work closely with the First Year Experience office.
Student/Community Development (35%)
Work with department staff and students to create and maintain a living and learning environment that applies student development theory to support the mission of Minnesota State Mankato and the Department of Residential Life.
- Ensure advising and counseling of students regarding academic, personal, roommate, and mental health issues. Develop working knowledge of campus and community resources.
- Assist in mediating individual and group conflicts.
- Manage conduct process in residence community and guide staff in the use of developmental consequences and conversations. Serve as both a hearing officer and an appeal officer for conduct cases, distribute cases to graduate hall directors and provide them guidance on procedures, due process, and implementation.
- Assist in the development of student leadership development through the support of the Residence Hall Association, National Residence Hall Honorary, and community councils.
- Assist in the development and implementation of intentional departmental community development model that includes: an emphasis on the first six-weeks, residence community programming initiative, first-year student success, academics, and inclusive community programming.
- Serve as educator, consultant, and general resource for students and staff.
Maintain communication with parents, faculty, staff and other administrative personnel as needed.
Develop an effective working relationship with the Assistant Director of First Year Experience to identify and implement collaborative opportunities that support and enhance the learning community program at Minnesota State Mankato.
Participate in an “on-call” rotation to provide consultation support for live-in staff and to respond on-site to emergencies and crisis.
Selection, supervision, training and evaluation of staff.
- Directly supervise and evaluate the graduate hall directors, administrative assistant, desk manager, and desk staff. Hold regular and intentional one-on-one meetings.
- Provide indirect supervision to community advisors.
- Facilitate regular staff meetings in residence community.
- Participate and present training topics in fall/winter training for graduate staff, community advisors, administrative assistants, and desk managers.
- Serve as a resource on University and departmental policies and procedures. Provide opportunities for residence community staff to share in the development and evaluation of policies and procedures.
- Assist in the selection of community advisors, desk managers, administrative assistants, and graduate staff.
Directly supervise summer graduate staff and on a rotating basis, supervise ACUHO-I intern and/or manage summer school operation.
Administrative Responsibilities (20%)
Maintain and improve the physical environment of the residence community in conjunction with the Assistant Directors of Residential Life for Environment and Operations.
- Issue and control staff keys.
- Ensure all safety, security, and maintenance needs are reported to appropriate personnel.
- Assist in developing renovation/inventory replacement priorities.
Oversee the residence community desk operation.
Plan, direct, and manage administrative functions with the residence community (e.g. room assignments, no-shows, room changes, room condition records, damage billing, break housing, interim housing) in conjunction with the Assistant Director for Administration and Information Services.
Coordinate duty system for community advisor staff.
Assist in the implementation of all residence hall openings and closing throughout the year.
Maintain files and prepare required reports.
Department Responsibilities (15%)
Coordinate specific department-wide committees and functions. Such responsibilities include:
- Develop goals and objectives for that committee. Develop strategies to meet stated goals and objectives.
- Decision-making and data gathering in conjunction with all staff.
- Evaluate activities on an on-going basis.
- Provide leadership to the graduate hall directors assigned to the committee.
- Maintain complete files of all activities.
Represent Residential Life during Orientation and Preview Days.
Represent Residential Life on Divisional and University committees.
Assist in the selection of full-time positions in Residential Life.
Assist in the budget development of Residential Life.