shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Community Advisor FAQ

Page address:

purple bar - medium

What are the key differences between being a CA on main campus versus being a CA at Stadium Heights?

Many job responsibilities will be the same regardless of placement in either a traditional residence hall or in Stadium Heights residence community. Some differences include expectations regarding being on duty, community development and administrative duties.

All Community Advisors are required to have a meal plan, however the meal plan option will vary by position.

Compensation varies between a main campus assignment and a Stadium Heights assignment.  Differences are noted in the job descriptions, located on the Community Advisor page.

When does training start?

Fall training begins on Sunday, August 11, 2019 and concludes on Wednesday, August 21, 2019 (both the residence halls and apartment communities open on Thursday, August 22, 2019).  However prior to that, attendance is expected at our annual spring kickoff event on Sunday, April 14, 2019.

Should I sign up for a fall housing assignment even if I am applying to be a CA?

If you are planning to live on campus next year, we recommend signing up for housing so that you are guaranteed a room in the residence halls.  If you are selected to become a CA, the $250 pre-payment that you make when you sign up for a room will be applied to your fall meal plan.

If I am selected to be a CA, can I choose which residence community I am placed in?

When you are completing your application, you will have the opportunity to select if you are applying to be a CA on main camups, at Stadium Heights apartment community, or if you would like to be considered for both types of positions. Specific community and hall placement is determined by the Area Director and Hall Director staff and is based on the needs of the building, as well as the CA's skills set.  You do not get to choose the specific community, hall, or apartment building you are placed in.

Why do CAs need to successfully complete a criminal background check?

Minnesota Statute Sections 299C.66 to 299C.71 (a.k.a. the Kari Koskinen Manager Background Check Act…herein referred to as “the Act”), enacted in 1995, require background checks on managers of apartment buildings and other dwellings.  The term manager includes any individual “who has or would have the means, within the scope of the individual’s duties, to enter tenants’ dwelling units.”  In keeping with the spirit of the Act, this process is to be used on the Minnesota State campuses with residence halls or other dwelling units.  It is to be applied to any person with a key or other means of access to a student room.  Community Advisors have access to student room keys.

What is the criminal background check looking for? 

Felony offenses that preclude employment/reassignment include all convictions for attempts to commit, or commission, the following: first, second, and third degree homicide; first and second degree manslaughter; criminal vehicular homicide and injury; first, second, third, fourth, and fifth degree sexual assault; kidnapping; first, second, third and fourth degree criminal sexual conduct; simple robbery; aggravated robbery; false imprisonment; theft; burglary; terroristic threats; first degree arson, and any violation of any level of the harassment and stalking statute.

Can I apply to be a CA if I am currently on University disciplinary probation?

Yes, as long as you are not on University disciplinary probation when the position begins (which is August 12, 2018).  Please note that candidates who are placed on University disciplinary probation for Spring Semester 2018 for an incident occurring after any part of the CA application was submitted will become ineligible.  Conduct standing checks will take place throughout the selection process. 

Can I have a part-time job while being a CA?

One responsibility of being a CA is to be accessible and visible to residents.  Outside employment and co-curricular activities can, at times, have an adverse effect on fulfilling this responsibility.  In addition, newly hired CAs often find it challenging to balance numerous responsibilities, and balance them well, during their first semester of employment.  Hence, CAs may request approval from their Area Director to seek additional employment opportunities.  The additional employment opportunities must not exceed 10 hours per week.

Can I still be involved in athletics, student organizations, and other activities while being a CA?

Community Advisors who want to participate in co-curricular activities (e.g. assistantships, internships, student organizations, student teaching, and clinicals) need to discuss their plans and obtain written approval from their Area Director.  Area Directors will assist CAs in examining how co-curricular activities might have an impact on their personal and work-related responsibilities.

What if I previously applied for a CA position, do I need to reapply?

Because some time has passed since you previously applied, it is important to gather updated information.  You will need to complete the online application and have 2 reference forms submitted on your behalf.  If you would like to reuse your reference forms from a previous CA search process, please email Brice Matthews.

I am a transfer student and this is my first semester at Minnesota State University, Mankato.  Can I still apply for a CA position?

Yes, as long as you meet the qualifications for the position.  Since you will not have any grades posted on the University records system, you may need to submit a copy of your transcript from the college or university you previously attended.  Please submit this document to Brice Matthews, CA Selection Coordinator, at 111 Carkoski Commons (Residential Life Office) by the application deadline.

Do I have to submit my application online?

Yes!  If you experience technical difficulties with the online application, please contact Brice Matthews via email or phone at 507-389-6090.