December 5, 2013 Special Edition - Winter Break and End of Semester Deadlines
Winter Break Housing - Deadline to Sign Up: Friday, December 13
- The communities will be locked at 7:00 p.m. Friday, December 13, 2013
- The communities will open at 8:00 a.m. Friday, January 10, 2014.
Food service ends on December 13 at 1:30 p.m. and begins again at 10:00 a.m. on January 10 for lunch.
Before You Leave for Winter Break:
- Remove all valuable items from your room. We are unable to assume liability for the loss of personal belongings left in your room.
- Turn off and unplug computers and electronics in your room except refrigerators and aquariums.
- Remove all perishable items from your refrigerator. If you unplug your refrigerator, please defrost it a leave the refrigerator door open.
- Return all To-Go Meal containers to the Carkoski Dining Hall.
- Take all plants and fish home. If this is impossible, aquarium equipment may be left plugged in. The University assumes no liability for fish or plants left in the room.
- Stadium Heights Residents: Make sure your smoke detector has a battery and is working.
- CLOSE and LOCK all windows.
- Close your blinds if you live on the first floor.
- Take out your garbage.
- Turn off the alarm on your clock.
- Turn all lights off.
- CLOSE and LOCK all doors.
A staff member will be checking your room to help secure the building.
There will be limited service available in the Student Union during the Winter Break period.
No students will be allowed access to the residence communities over break unless previous arrangements have been made with the Department of Residential Life.
Winter Break Fees
All current residents who will also live on campus spring semester may stay during the break.
- Residents of Crawford, McElroy, Preska, and Julia Sears:
- Register in the Residential Life office by Friday, December 6: $325.
- Those who register after December 6 pay $375.
- Residents of Stadium Heights:
- Register in the Residential Life office by Friday, December 6: $0 (The Winter Break fee has already been included in the Stadium
Heights apartment rate, so there is no additional charge to stay.)
- Those who register after December 6 pay $50.
Additional Winter Break Information
Parking: Leaving Your Car On Campus Over Winter Break
Crawford, McElroy, Julia Sears and Preska residents who are registered to stay in the residence communities over Winter Break may keep their cars in Lot 13 or Lot 14. If you are going home over break you must take your car with you or find other parking arrangements. Unregistered cars may be subject to towing.
If you plan to have a vehicle on campus AND you are planning to stay on campus during Winter Break, please bring the license plate number from your vehicle when you register.
Stadium Heights residents may keep their cars in the small parking lot in front of building 701 over Winter Break.
Apartment and Suite Residents: Be Prepared for Winter Bathroom Inspections
Residents with in-room bathrooms, can avoid potential cleaning charges by having bathrooms ready for Winter Break inspections. Bathrooms that do not meet the inspection guidelines will be cleaned by University staff, and roommates will be held jointly responsible for cleaning charges.
Watch for floor signs for cleaning tips and inspection schedules.
Holiday Decoration Guidelines
Do not place lights on metal door and window frames, as well as metal bed springs and lofts.
All artificial trees, holiday lights, and decorations must be removed from public areas prior to the beginning of Winter Break.
Getting a New Roommate
If you are currently living alone in a room for two residents, there is a vacant space in your apartment, or if your current roommate is not returning for Spring Semester, you will be assigned a new roommate. Prior to the arrival of a new roommate, please be sure that you have cleared off and cleaned half of the space in your room, including one of the desks, one of the beds, half of the closet space, bookshelves, etc. and cleaned the sink. If you live at Stadium Heights please be sure that the commons areas (kitchen, bathroom, living room, etc.) are clean and reasonable spaces exists for your new roommate.
Your new roommate may move in before the end of the semester, or over Winter Break, and this should allow her/him to move in more easily. As soon as we have assigned another person to your room, information about your roommate will be emailed to you at your MavMAIL address. For information about accessing your campus email, visit the MavMAIL website at mavmail.mnsu.edu.
Need to Change Your Meal Plan?
You can change your meal plan for Spring Semester to the AnyTime, Maverick 160 or 14 meal plan. Please come to the Residential Life office early to fill out a Meal Plan Change Request Form.
Moonlight Breakfast: This Sunday!
10:00 p.m. - 11:30 p.m. Sunday, December 8 - Join us in the Carkoski Dining Hall for a late night breakfast! Bring your MavCARD.
Your Campus Username Will Change on December 19
Your StarID will take the place of your current username beginning December 19. Following the conversion, you will use your StarID to log into services that currently request your username.
1. Before December 19, activate your StarID. You will need your TechID and social security number to activate your StarID, or you can submit the personal email address you have on file at the University to receive a verification code.
2. Click on and follow the instructions on the page. Set or change your StarID password to one you have NEVER used before.
3. Change your CAMPUS login password (my.mnsu.edu/account) to match your new StarID password. This will make the transition smoother for you.
You can also receive StarID SMS Text Reminders by texting "STARID" TO 69310. (Standard text messaging rates may apply.)
On December 19 at 1:00 a.m., ITS will automatically convert your username to your StarID. Some settings on mobile devices (phones, tablets, laptops, etc.) will likely need to be reconfigured. These include MavNET Wireless, ResNet (residence community wireless), your email client (if you use one), MavPRINT, and others. Visit mnsu.edu/starid for more information about how to reconfigure applications on your devices.
Questions? Comments? Let Us Know!