shortcut to content

Minnesota State University, Mankato

Minnesota State University, Mankato

Parent FAQ

Page address:

Purple Bar

Here's a list of parents' most Frequently Asked Questions. If you don't see the answer you're looking for, please contact us!

How does my student apply for housing at Minnesota State Mankato?

There are two ways to reserve a space. Your student can apply for housing and make the $250 prepayment online, or send us the Housing Reservation Application, housing contract, and $250 prepayment by mail. Contact the Department of Residential Life to request a paper housing application. Learn more about applying for housing.

What housing options do you offer?

We have five Residence Communities. Crawford and McElroy are four-level halls on the northern edge of campus, and have many renovated floors and choices. Preska, built in 2012, has primarily semi-suite housing with some renovated rooms.  Julia Sears, on the west side of campus, opened in 2008 with semi-suite style housing on four co-ed floors. On the south side of campus Stadium Heights Residence Community apartments offer residents a modified residential life experience.  Learn more about housing options.

What does it cost to live on campus?

Housing room and meals rates vary, depending on the type of room your student lives in and the meal plan they choose. Learn more about rates.

Is there a requirement to live on campus?

No, but about 87% of first-year students at Minnesota State Mankato typically do. Research shows that students who live on campus have higher grade point averages and are more likely to stay in school. The added mentoring and support, amenities and convenience of living on campus gives students significant advantages, so they can focus on their academic success and make the most of their university experience.

What are Learning Communities?

Learning Communities provide an opportunity for students to join a residential setting that supports their academic success and transition to college life and encourages students to involve themselves in the many opportunities we have to offer on campus! Communities are grouped by areas of academic interest or other specialized interest.

Learning Community participants take some of their semester classes together and the students in each community live on the same residence community floor, providing an excellent opportunity to connect with other first year students. Each Learning Community has their own Learning Community Coordinator (LCC) dedicated to the academic success of every member as they transition to college life at Minnesota State Mankato. The LCC assists each student in setting academic goals, develops study groups for the community, and plans service work, cultural appreciation, and other events. The Minnesota State Mankato Learning Communities Program is managed by the Office of New Student and Family Programs. McElroy Residence Community is typically where students in Learning Communities are housed, although some are housed in Preska I. Learn more, and enroll online in a Learning Community.

Do you have recommendations on what a student should bring when they move in?

The list of what a student should bring is different for every student. Minimally, your student should bring bedding for an extra-long twin bed, towels and other shower necessities, and clothing for the current season. While our rooms are comfortably furnished, most students choose to enhance their rooms by adding their own personal touch. More ideas about what to bring.

Should my student bring a carbon monoxide detector?

No carbon monoxide is generated by the heating system serving the Crawford, McElroy, Preska, and Julia Sears Residence Communities.  Carbon monoxide detectors are provided in the Stadium Heights apartments.

My student would like to change rooms. How does that work?

Before the Academic Year Begins
Your student may request a change in his/her room assignment by completing a [PDF] room change request (37 KiB)form. They should submit their form to the Department of Residential Life by email, fax, or in person. Your student and a friend may also use this form to request to be moved to an available room so that they may be roommates. Room change requests will be considered until August 15.

If we are not able to accommodate their request by this date, they will have the opportunity to change rooms during Room Change Days. If your student's room assignment or roommate changes, we will notify them by mail. Your student can also check their room assignment online anytime.

The Room Change Request Form (PDF) will be available in June.

During the Academic Year
With Residential Life approval, residents may change their room to any available space on campus after the tenth day of classes each semester. Residents are first allowed to change rooms during Room Change Days. During Room Change Days where room changes are processed in the Residential Life office. After Room Change Days, residents who wish to change rooms or residence communities should pick up a room change request form at any front desk. (This includes moving from one room to another within the same suite or apartment in Julia Sears or Preska J, K or L Halls.)

Can students change their meal plan after the academic year has started?

Students can [PDF] request a meal plan change (151 KiB)through the second week of class each semester. Requests may be made online or by making the request in the Residential Life office. After the second week of class, change requests will take effect the following semester.

Complete details on meal plan options, flex dollars, and other dining information can be found here.

Does Residential Life offer employment opportunities to students?

The Department of Residential Life is one of the largest employers of students on campus. The leadership opportunities we provide through our Student Staff positions go beyond just a convenient way to earn a paycheck, by giving students experiences that help lay the groundwork for career and for life. We employ students in a variety of part-time positions during the academic year and summer terms including Community Advisors, Maverick Mentors, Office Assistants, Overnight Safety Monitors, Painters, and Conference Assistants.

Student staff opportunities are updated here as they become available. Student employment opportunities in Residential Life and campus-wide are listed on

What security measures are in place in the residence communities?

A number of security measures are taken to assist residents in maintaining a secure residence hall environment. All student room doors have peepholes, so residents can see who is at their door before opening it. Floor bathrooms are locked, so that only residents of that floor can gain entry. Guests who are not residents of the residence community they are visiting must be escorted by their host resident from 10:30 p.m. until 9:00 a.m. In addition, the residence communities are staffed by Overnight Safety Monitors from 11:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. The Overnight Safety Monitors lock all outside access doors to each of the residence halls and monitor doors during the nighttime hours.  Security programs and access hours are subject to change.

If I have a question during the academic year, who do I contact?

If you have specific questions, please contact either the Area Director of the Community where your student lives or the Residential Life office.

Area Directors:
Crawford - Nicole Faust 507-389-6090
Preska or Stadium Heights - Stephanie Knoppa 507-389-1023
Julia Sears - Matt Burns 507-389-5633
McElroy - Jamie Van Boxel 507-389-6893

Residential Life office - 507-389-1011

I am worried that my student is not connecting. What can I do?

Please contact your student's Area Director to share your concern.

I would like to know how my student is doing. What do you suggest?

Talk directly with your student first. If you have further concerns, please contact the student's Area Director or the Residential Life office. We will listen to your concerns and can provide some general information. We can talk more specifically if we receive permission to do so from your student.

Parent concerns sometimes center on the use of alcohol or other substances. The University's policy on alcohol and drug use, along with helpful tips, municipal laws and regulations, and other resources, can be found [PDF] here (77 KiB).

What conduct process is used if my student allegedly violates a policy?

The Department of Residential Life bears responsibility for the initiation of disciplinary proceedings against a student living in a University residence community for:
1. Alleged violation of University and/or residence community policy, which may not result in suspension or expulsion from the University.
2. Alleged violation of the Residential Life Housing Contract.
3. Incidents of alleged misbehavior occurring in the dining hall.

Community Advisors and all other staff members must address every violation of which they become aware. Residents may also be referred to the Director of Student Conduct for disciplinary action.

Complete details of the Student Conduct Code, rights and responsibilities, procedures and sanctions can be found in the Residential Life Student Guide, available here.

What address format should I use to send mail to my student?

In order to receive mail and packages, a resident’s name as listed in the University directory and a complete address must appear on items being sent. Mail and packages not accurately addressed are returned to sender.

Address formats for each residence community, including their unique street numbers and zip codes, are available here.

Example of complete address format (for a student living in McElroy H-221):

Name of Resident
McElroy Residence Community
430 Ellis Ave. #H-221
Mankato, MN 56001-6008

My student hasn't received some mail I sent them. What should they do?

For parcels, the student should contact the shipper using appropriate tracking or insurance numbers. Address all mail using the student's name as listed in the University directory. This is particularly important when mailing items purchased from another vendor, such as an online merchant. Do not use parents' or others' names in the "Ship To" field on such parcels. Please refer to the address information above for specifics on how to address packages to student residents.

What size are the mattresses and where can I purchase sheets?

All mattresses provided in Crawford, McElroy, Preska, and Julia Sears are 80" x 36" (203cm x 91cm). These mattresses require extra long twin sheets, available at many retail locations.

To make this process quick and easy, Residence Hall Linens program, a Residence Hall Association fundraiser, has been providing the opportunity for students to purchase linens since 1997. The selection includes extra-long sheets, extra-long thermal blankets, extra-long mattress pads, pillows, storage solutions, extra-long comforters and anything else you may need.  All of this can be delivered directly to your home over the summer. Visit to view the linen program’s full selection of colors and patterns and to place your order.

Apartment beds have standard length full-size mattresses.

Where can I park when I come to visit?

Free one-day visitor Yellow parking permits for guests who are not Minnesota State Mankato students are available from the front desk of Crawford, McElroy, Preska, and Julia Sears.

From 6:00 p.m. Sunday to 12:00 p.m. Friday, please park in the designated Yellow stalls in lots adjacent to residence halls. From 12:00 p.m. Friday to 6:00 p.m. Sunday, Yellow permit holders may park in designated Yellow stalls or in any Green permit stall in lots adjacent to residence halls.

A variety of parking-related maps and driving directions to the campus can be found here.

Information about guest parking at Stadium Heights is available from the Property Owner office at 507-388-5167.

My student can't log in to make a housing reservation. What can they do about it?

Your student's TechID and TechID Password are used in combination to access services such as registration, financial aid, and their E-services account.


This is an 8-digit student/employee identification number, which is printed on your student's MavCard and was printed in the lower right corner of your student's acceptance letter. Your student can also find their TechID online.

TechID Password

Default TechID Password

If this is the first time your student is attempting to use their TechID Password, it has been preset to one of the following:

  • their birth date in YYMMDD format
  • the last six digits of their social security number

Students are required to change their TechID Password after their first successful log-in.

Page address: Your student can also find their TechID Password online.

If your student is having problems finding their TechID or TechID Password online, please have them call the Registration Help Center at 507-389-2252.

If you would like us to send your student a paper copy of the housing application to complete and return, we'd be happy to! Just let us know: Fall/Spring housing. Spring only. Summer housing.

What should students do if they find something in their residence community or room is not working properly?

Students may file an online maintenance request here. Students experiencing any difficulties with this reporting procedure should contact their front desk for assistance. If a requested repair is not addressed within seven days, students should contact their Area Director.  Residents of Stadium Heights need to contact the Property Owner office at 507-388-5167 to submit your request.

What computer recommendations can you provide?

To get connected to the wired Internet in residence community rooms, students will need:

1. A computer with an Ethernet adapter or card.
2. An Ethernet cable (Cat 5 10/100Base-T cable with RJ-45 connectors) in order to connect your computer to the network port in your room.

To access the Internet through a wireless connection in the public areas in the Residence Communities, and elsewhere on campus, bring a computer (laptop) that also has a wireless Ethernet adapter or card.

Check current University-recommended standards for PC and Mac desktops and laptops.

What should a student do if they're having computer problems?

ResTech Services provides expert help at no charge for students living on campus who have computer issues. Students may bring their computers, by appointment, to the ResTech facilities located in lower level Carkoski Commons. More details and a link for students to set up an appointment can be found here.

What should we do if my student receives an error stating "Not eligible for housing."

Current PSEO students must contact the Residential Life office if they receive this error.

My student has an Orientation Hold.  Will this affect my student in other areas?

Yes.  Students that have an Orientation Hold may also impact their class registration.