Rules & RegulationsPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/sciencefair/elementary-division/rules.html
The Southern Minnesota Regional Elementary Science and Engineering Fair, grades 3-6, the rules are modified and simplified. If in doubt about any aspect of the rules, check with the Regional Science and Engineering Fair Office. The changes are designed to reduce paperwork while ensuring student safety.
Before you begin your experiment you will need to make sure that you plan your experiment or research. Sometimes, you will need assistance from a qualified scientist or a review board. Make sure you plan your project accordingly.
All students at the local level must have the "Elementary Project Approval Form" completed before the project is started. For most projects this form signed by the student(s), a parent, and/or classroom teacher is sufficient. The purpose of this form is to ensure that the student has a project that is safe and that he/she will have a positive learning experience.
Items you will need the day of the fair:
- regular square card table
- elementary project approval form (Required for all projects)
- your project
- research journal including
- hypothesis or engineering goal
- helpful, but not required items:
- quiet activity for between judges
- snack and drink or cash for concession stand
Display and Safety Rules:
- maximum size of project
- depth (front to back): 30 inches or 76 centimeters
- width (side to side): 48 inches or 122 centimeters
- height (floor to top): 108 inches or 274 centimeters
- credit for all images must be displayed on board
- all photos containing humans (other than the participant) must have written consent to use the photo
- only extension cords provided by the fair are allowed
- common items NOT allowed to be displayed at your project include, but are not limited to:
- soil, sand, waste samples
- animals (including taxidermy specimens)
- sharp items
- liquids (including water)
- human or animal food
- internet connection
- promotional/sales materials
Teams may consist of no more than 3 individuals. Once a project has started, members cannot be added or removed.
Please contact the Regional Science Fair Office at email@example.com for any question.