Dry SkinPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/shs/dryskin.html
Dry winter air and lots of soap combine to cause itchy, irritated skin that is prone to develop rashes.
These simple measures can protect skin from over-drying, and decrease itching and irritation:
- Bath once daily at the most, every other day if you are comfortable with the idea.
- Use minimal soap only where essential. "Pits and Private" is the hospital slang for this approach. Definitely avoid the total body lathering of TV ads!
- Use a petroleum-based moisturizer such as Vaseline, Aquaphor, Nivea creme, or Eucerin creme. Put the moisturizer on after bathing and at bedtime.
- Avoid lotions that contain alcohol; these products will dry your skin.
- Your medical provider can help you select a moisturizer based on your skin type, especially if you have sensitive skin or are prone to acne and breakouts.