Dry SkinPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/shs/dryskin.html
Dry winter air and lots of soap combine to cause itchy, irritated skin that is prone to develop rashes.
These simple measures can protect skin from over drying, and decrease itching and irritation:
- Bath once daily at the most, every other day if you are comfortable with the idea.
- Use minimal soap only where essential. "Pits and Private" is the hospital slang for this approach. Definitely avoid the total body lathering of TV ads!
- Use a greasy moisturizer such as Vaseline, Aquaphor, Nivea creme, or Eucerin creme. Put the moisturizer on after bathing and at bedtime.
- Avoid all lotions that contain alcohol; these products will dry your skin.
- Best moisturizers to least moisturizers in order are; ointments, creams, lotions, gels, and solutions.