How Can I Avoid Traveler's Diarrhea?
- Do not drink tap water and do not use it to brush your teeth.
- Do not drink bottled water if the seal on the bottle has been broken.
- Do not use ice that has been made from tap water.
- Do not drink milk or eat dairy products that have not been "pasteurized" (heated to a temperature where all germs are killed).
- Do not eat raw fruits or vegetables unless they can be peeled and you are the one who peels them. (e.g. avoid salsa or guacamole.)
- Do not eat lettuce and other leafy raw vegetables (like spinach), and do not eat cut–up fruit salad.
- Do not eat raw or rare (slightly cooked) meat or fish.
- Do not eat food from people who sell food on the street.
What is Safe to Drink or Eat?
- You can drink soft drinks that are "carbonated" (drinks with a gas called carbon dioxide in them).
- You can have hot drinks such as hot tea or coffee.
- You can drink carbonated or noncarbonated bottled water as long as you are the one who breaks the seal.
- You can eat raw fruits or vegetables that can be peeled, as long as you are the one who peels them.
- You can eat food that is served hot.
- You can eat meat that is well cooked.