National Student ExchangePage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/studyabroad/nationalstudentexchange/
The National Student Exchange (NSE) is a consortium of 200 institutions across the United States, Alaska, Hawaii as well as Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands and four provinces in Canada, which provides opportunities for undergraduate students to study for up to one academic year at another NSE member college or university. Minnesota State University, Mankato participates in NSE on what is called "Plan B" tuition payment, which allows students to pay their usual Mankato tuition and student fees rate, and this covers tuition at their chosen NSE college/university (i.e students do NOT pay tuition to both MSU and their chosen NSE college/university; they pay tuition only to MSU, but get to study at another university instead for a semester or year). In addition, Minnesota State Mankato processes financial aid for students participating in NSE programs just as it would if the student was taking classes in Mankato. It's a great deal!
- 2.5 cumulative GPA at the time of application and at the completion of the term prior to exchange.
- Full-time student at the time of application and in the term prior to exchange.
- Good standing (academic, financial, and social/behavioral) as defined by Minnesota State Mankato.
- Be approved by the Minnesota State Mankato NSE coordinator for participation in the exchange program.
There are still some NSE campuses with Spring 2015 exchange placement availability. However, the Spring 2015 deadline for most campuses is coming up quickly on Friday, October 31, 2014. Applications are in paper form, can be picked up in CSU 250, the Kearney International Center, and should be turned in to Mandy Prorok no later than 4:30pm on Friday, October 31.
The 2015-2016 Priority Consideration Deadline is Friday, February 13, 2015. NO EXCEPTIONS! It is HIGHLY recommended for students considering either Fall 2015 or Spring 2016 NSE exchange who have specific campus preferences to submit an application by February 13th. Priority placements for 2015-2016 will be decided in early March. Many of the most popular campuses will fill all their available 2015-16 spots for incoming NSE exchange participants in early March and will not be able to consider new participants again until 2016-17.
- Schedule a meeting with the campus NSE coordinator to discuss options, general information, and to pick up an application.
- Complete and submit a paper application along with the $150 NSE application fee payment (checks only accepted; made out to "Minnesota State University, Mankato" with "NSE application fee" written on memo line), an unofficial transcript, two letters of recommendation and a 1/2-1 page statement of purpose (how participating in NSE will benefit you).
- Spring 2015 applications and payment due no later than 4:30pm Friday, October 31, 2014
- 2015-16 (Academic Year, Fall or Spring) applications and application fee payment due no later than 4:30pm Friday, February 13, 2015
The $150 application fee allows students to apply to up to 8 different NSE campuses.
Have questions that are not answered on this site? Visit nse.org for more information or contact the campus NSE coordinator:
Education Abroad Advisor
Kearney International Center, CSU 250
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Mankato, MN 56001
Direct: 507-389-5122507-389-5122 TTY/MRS: 800-627-3529800-627-3529 or 711