The National Student Exchange (NSE) program is a North American-based study away opportunity that allows you to take new courses, see new places, make new friends, and enroll in academic options that may not be available here at MSU. You can study for one or two semesters at your choice of nearly 200 NSE member colleges and universities across the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Guam (a U.S. territory in the Pacific Ocean)!
How much does it cost? Here's the exciting thing about particpating in the NSE program: You still ONLY pay your MSU tuition and student fees for the semester(s) you are studying at different college or university in North America! You will still receive your financial aid through MSU, and if you have extra financial aid money available after your MSU tuition and student fees have been paid, you can use that money to help pay for NSE travel and living expenses!
Before completing the application, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a full time student at MSU, have attended MSU for at least 3 semesters prior to the semester of NSE exchange, and have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5. (Please be advised that some colleges and universities might have higher GPA requirements.)
- Be in good academic standing (no incomplete grades, and not on academic or financial aid suspension).
- No current or pending behavioral conduct infractions (i.e. alcohol or drug violations, residence hall noise or fire code violations, etc.).
- Have no outstanding financial obligations to MSU.
The application process is hassle free- simply follow the steps below:
- Check out the list of North American colleges and universities to which you can exchange through the NSE website
- Download an NSE application or stop by the Kearney International Center (CSU 250) to pick up an application
- Submit your completed application to the Kearney International Center (CSU 250), attention to Mandy Prorok, along with an unofficial transcript (which you can pick up at the Registration Help Desk), two letters of recommendation (at least one of the letters must be from a professor with whom you have taken a class), and a check made out to Minnesota State University, Mankato for the $150 application fee. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis but must be submitted no later than:
Spring 2015: October 31; interview to be completed by November 7
Fall 2015/Academic Year 2015-16: February 6; interview to be completed by February 13
- Schedule an application interview with the MSU NSE coordinator for one week after you submit your application (keeping in mind the final deadlines posted above). You are also welcome to schedule appointments with the MSU NSE coordinator as needed throughout your research and application process. To schedule appointments, please call 507-389-1281 or stop by the reception desk in the Kearney International Center (CSU 250).
- Be on the way to the place of your dreams!
Read all about the National Student Exchange (NSE) program at: http://www.nse.org/
Not ready to complete the application but want to talk to someone about your NSE interests? Contact: