shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Financial Aid & Scholarships

Page address:

There are many study abroad-specific scholarships available. Check out our list of scholarships offered through a variey of means, including Minnesota State Mankato, national and international organizations, as well as our partner study abroad organizations.


Mark M. Welter World Citizen Award: Thanks to the generosity of Dr. Mark M. Welter, a $500 scholarship opportunity is available to MnSCU students which aims to recognize students who exemplify the thoughts, words and actions demanded by a 21st century world citizen.  Please watch this site for updates on the application process for the 2016-17 academic year.  We will most likely be requesting new applications in April 2016.  Inquiries about the scholarship should be sent to

Applicants must meet the following criteria:

  • 3.0 GPA or higher
  • Part-time or Full-time degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate student enrolled at Minnesota State Mankato
  • High School graduate
  • In good academic standing
  • Evidence of financial need

Please review all three of the following documents for a complete overview of the application requirements:


A great starting point for scholarships is right on our campus!  Check out Minnesota State Mankato's scholarship page!


Boren African Languages Initiative: The African Languages Initiative (AFLI) offers both undergraduate and graduate students the opportunity to study African languages and cultures by participating in domestic and overseas language programs in one of eight languages.  For on-campus assistance with your application and essay, please provide your first draft to Ginny Walters in the MSU University Fellowships Office no later than:

  • Undergraduate students: January 16, 2015 (final applications must be submitted to the Boren Program in Washington D.C. by 5:00pm on February 4, 2015)
  • Graduate students: December 31, 2014 (final applications must be submitted to the Boren Program in Washington D.C. by 5:00pm on January 27, 2015) 

Boren Summer STEM Scholarships: The Boren Scholarships for undergraduate students offer a special initiative for STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) majors of up to $8,000 for summer study (minimum of 8 weeks) for students majoring in the STEM fields.  For on-campus assistance with your application and essay, please provide your first draft to Ginny Walters in the MSU University Fellowships Office by January 16, 2015.  Final applications must be submitted to the Boren Program in Washington D.C. by 5:00pm on February 4, 2015.


Boren Scholarship Program: Provides up to $20,000 to U.S. undergraduate students to study abroad in areas of the world that are critical to U.S. interests and underrepresented in study abroad, including Africa, Asia, Central & Eastern Europe, Latin America, and the Middle East.  First draft scholarship applications will be due to Ginny Walters in the MSU University Fellowships Office by January 16, 2015.  Final applications must be submitted to the Boren Program in Washington D.C. by 5:00pm on February 4, 2015.  Want to hear about the Boren program from past scholarship recipients?  Check out these YouTube videos.


Boren Fellowship Program: Provides up to $30,000 to U.S. graduate students to add an important international langugae component to their graduate education through specialization in area study, langugae study, or increased language proficiency.  Boren Fellowships support study and research in areas of the world that are critical to U.S. interests, including Africa, Asia, Central & Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East.  Applicants who would like on-campus assistance with their applications and essays should contact Ginny Walters in the MSU University Fellowships Office.  Final applications must be submitted to the Boren Program in Washington D.C. by 5:00pm on January 27, 2015.  Want to hear about the Boren program from past Fellowship recipients?  Check out these YouTube videos.


Bridging Scholarships: Offers roughly 100 scholarships each year to American undergraduate students participating in study abroad programs in Japan.  The scholarship deadline for Spring 2015 is October 8, 2014.


The Britain BUTEX Scholarship for North American Students: Click on scholarships and scroll to "Scholarships for North Americans."  BUTEX is pleased to offer eight scholarships for undergraduate students currently registered at an institution in the USA or Canada. To be eligible to apply you must have been offered a place as a study abroad or exchange student for the 2013-2014 academic year at a UK university which is a member of BUTEX (British Transatlantic Exchange Association).


Carl Duisberg Society (CDS): A scholarship program generally sending students to Germany for work/internship/or study. CDS also has scholarships for travel to Russia and Argentina.


Child Family Health International (CFHI) is offering $1000 for use towards program fees for 2014 & 2015 CFHI programs.


China Scholarship Council: Provides information on a variety of scholarships available for studies in China at both the undergraduate and graduate level.


Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange (CBYX):  The CBYX program for Young Professionals is a fellowship funded by the German Bundestag and U.S. Congress that annually provides 75 American and 75 German Young Professionals (between the ages of 18-24) the opportunity to spend one year in each others' countries studying, interning, and living with hosts on a cultural immersion program.  The program is open to candidates in all career fields (through academics, internships or work experience) who are interested in a year of cultural exchange. 


DAAD: The German Academic Exchange Service offers short and long-term undergraduate and graduate awards for study in Germany. offers its own scholarship, as well as co-sponsored scholarships and a scholarship search engine for economically disadvantaged students, first-generation, students with disabilities, and ethnic & racially diverse students


EMGIP - Bundestag Internship (Germany): EMGIP offers internship opportunities for U.S. and Canadian students in the German parliament, the Bundestag.  The internships are 2 months long in positions matching the student's interest and experience.


Fulbright Program: Sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, the Fulbright Program provides funding for students, scholars and professionals to undertake graduate study, advanced research, university teaching, and teaching in elementary and secondary schools. Students interested in pursuing a Fulbright should contact Ginny Walters, University Fellowships Coordinator.


Fund for Education Abroad (FEA): FEA offers up to $10,000 scholarships annually to help increase the opportunities for dedicated American students to participate in high-quality education abroad programs by reducing financial restrictions through scholarships and grants. 


Gilman International Scholarships For Study Abroad: Students must be recipients of Pell Grants.  Awards are given for semester, academic year and summer programs of 4-weeks or longer.  Students interested in applying for a Gilman Scholarship can contact Ginny Walters for application assistance.


Harry Truman Scholarship: For juniors committed to careers in government or public service.


IIE Passport Study Abroad Funding: The Institute for International Education recently launched this website to be a clearinghouse for all study abroad scholarships.


James R. Grimmer Study Abroad Scholarship (MNSU): AET and MET majors can apply for this up to $2,000 scholarship.  Contact the CSET Advising Center for more information.


John E. Bowman Travel Grants: These awards provide travel grants to students participating in CIEE (the Council for International Education Exchange) programs to non-traditional locations.

John & Karen Knox Study Abroad Scholarship (MNSU): An annual $1,000 scholarship established for CSET students interested in studying abroad for 1 semester or more.  Contact the CSET Advising Center for more information.


Lucila Gaetke Elementary Ed Travel Endowment: Available to any undergraduate Elementary Education major who wishes to travel abroad for international study purposes.  Award amounts vary.


Malmberg Scholarship: This grant awards up to $10,000 for up to one year of study or research in Sweden to a U.S. resident who is either a student enrolled in a degree-seeking program at an accredited college or university in the U.S. whose current study can be supplemented by time in Sweden or to a qualified scholar engaged in study or research in the U.S. whose work can be enhanced by study in Sweden.  Applications for the 2014 Scholarship will be accepted beginning September 1, 2013 and ending on November 15, 2013 (post-marked by date).


Minnesota-Japan Society Mondale Scholarship: Minnesota undergraduate students enrolled in Minnesota colleges and universities who want to broaden their knowledge of Japan through a combination of study and travel are eligible to apply.


National Italian American Foundation: The NIAF grants one-year awards for Italian-American students or non-Italian-American students with a focus on Italian studies.


Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society: Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants are designed to help support undergraduates as they seek knowledge and experience in their academic fields by studying abroad. Fifty $1,000 grants are awarded each year.


Rotary Ambassadorial Scholarship: The world's largest privately funded international scholarship program.  Students interested in applying should contact the nearest Rotary Club for more information and nomination support.


To search for further study abroad funding resources on your own, we recommend the following links:

  • GoAbroad's data base of hundreds of scholarships available for study abroad.
  • IIEPassport Study Abroad Funding is a searchable database of funding sources.
  • provides study abroad funding options advice as well as a list of study abroad scholarship generally available to U.S. students.



 Can I use my financial aid for study abroad?

Yes, you can!!!  Federal Financial Aid, state and university scholarships you currently receive may be used to pay for study abroad programs.  A process also exists for you to work with the IPO and the Financial Services Office to determine whether or not you qualify for an adjustment to your financial aid package based on any added study abroad expense.  Students interested in completing this process should follow the steps below:

Steps for Financial Aid for Study Abroad

1) If you have not already, file a FAFSA application through!!!  Remember, Minnesota State Mankato's FAFSA priority deadline each year is March 15th.

2) Finish all elements in your MNSU online study abroad application by the appilcation deadline date, especially the "Class Planner."

3) Create a cost estimate budget sheet with the IPO (make an appointment through the front desk of the Kearney International Center, CSU 250).

4) Print out the "Request for Budget Adjustment" form at:

5) If you are participating in a summer study abroad program and already have an active FAFSA on file, you can apply for summer financial aid by fililng out the brief summer financial aid form at:

6) Go to the Hub to make an appointment with a Financial Aid Counselor.  If you have not already completed the Budget Adjustment form in #3 (to the best of your abilities), you will be asked to do so at the Campus Hub.

7) Meet with a Financial Aid Counselor.  Be sure to bring the following to your meeting:

  • A copy of your completed IPO "Class Planner"
  • A copy of your program budget printed from the IPO website
  • The Budget Adjustment Form printed from #4 above or received at the Campus Hub, completed to the best of your abilities

If you are participating in a study abroad company program, you will also be asked to complete a "Consortium Agreement" either at the Campus Hub or by the Financial Aid Counselor (required for study abroad company programs).  If you are participating in a faculty-led program, exchange program, or the Spanish Language Abroad program through the Spanish department, no "Consortium Agreement" is needed.

8) The Financial Services Office will notify you of the adjustment amount for which you are approved. Most Award Adjustment approvals are granted through private or alternative loans which must be applied for through a bank or private student loan lender. Approval for financial aid award adjustment does not mean you will simply receive more money with you August/January/May finacial aid award disbursement. YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE YOUR ALTERNATIVE/PRIVATE LOAN FUNDS UNLESS YOU COMPLETE THE REQUIRED ALTERNATIVE/PRIVATE LOAN APPLICATION PROCESS THROUGH YOUR BANK OR A PRIVATE STUDNET LOAN LENDER. If you have questions about how this process works or where to apply for alternative/private loan, please have a conversation with the Financial Services Office.

9) Go to your bank of choice to arrange for loans as per your award package.

10)  Once your alternative/private loan application is approved, it will be disdursed through MNSU's usual financial aid disbursment process in late-august, late-January, or late-May (typically the 2nd Friday of the semester). The money will be first used by MNSU to pay off any charges on yur eServices account. Any remaining funds will be sent to you directly either by check or direct deposit (depending on what you have set up with the university; if you have not already, you can apply for direct deposit through your eServices account).FINANCIAL AID, EVEN ALTERNATIVE/PRIVATE LOANS, CANNOT BE DISBURSED EARLIER THAN THE PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED DISBURSEMENT SCHEDULE. Any study abroad program payments or purchases you need to make proir to the financial aid disbursement dates should be made by credit card or other means. You will be able to pay off any credit charges when you recieve your disbursment.  

11) Make all your study abroad program fee payments by the set deadlines. If you are participating in a study abroad company program, the company should have some sort of "Financial Aid Verification Form" available for you to submit by the final payment deadline in liue of submitting a check/credit card payment. This form is usually available through your personalized studnet account with the study abroad company, or on thier website. If your financial aid package through MNSU does not cover the full program fee due to the study abroad company, by their final program payment deadline the company will expect you to turn in both the "Financial Aid Verification Form" AND full payment be check or credit card on the amount not covered by financial aid. Most study abroad companies also offer payment plans through which you can attange to pay in installments. Call your study abroad company to ask about this option.

12) Be aware that your host university and/or study abroad company will not release your study abroad transcript to you or to MNSU if you have outstanding fees remaining at the end of your term abroad. If MNSU does not receive your transcript in a timely manner after the end of your study abroad program, without proof of your successfully completed term abroad, based on the Financial Services Office's compliance requirements, they could require you to begin repaying your loans with immediate affect.

13) Be aware that you will not receive a transcript for your study abroad experience if you have outstanding bills at the end of your semester abroad. If this happens, you could be required by Student Financial Services to begin repaying your loans immediately.