Upward BoundPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/upwardbound/
The program is designed to stimulate and motivate low-income, potential first-generation college students to complete high school and pursue and succeed in a program of post-secondary education. The Upward Bound Program is federally funded through the U.S. Department of Education. It serves students in the Blue Earth Area, Kato Public Charter, Lake Crystal Wellcome Memorial, Madelia, Mankato East, Mankato West, and Maple River high schools.
- Improve students' academic skills through intensive classroom instruction and tutoring.
- Provide educational opportunities not usually available to its students.
- Motivate students to pursue collegiate or technical training upon completion of high school.
- Enhance students' personal, cultural, social and academic awareness and development.
- Six week academic residential summer session with emphasis on basic and higher level skill improvement in math, composition, science and study skills as well as academic enrichment classes which may include photography, art, physical conditioning, robotics, rocketry, racquetball, volleyball, dance, chess, and speech.
- Cultural, social, recreational and academic activities designed to foster personal growth and broaden student awareness and appreciation of the world.
- Follow-up programs throughout the academic year offering tutoring, advising and guidance weekly to each student at the student's home school and one Saturday per month at Minnesota State University.
- High school seniors are assisted with college selection and admission, entrance examinations and financial aid application.