LinksPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/voices/links.html
Organizations Involved with Voices from the Valley (in alphabetical order)...
- The Blue Earth County Historical Society
- Citizens' Voices
- The Communication Studies Department at Minnesota State, Mankato
- KMSU Radio (89.7 FM)
- The Marilyn J. Lass Center for Minnesota Studies at Minnesota State, Mankato
Information about the Minnesota River Valley...
- Overview from "Explore Minnesota"
- Minnesota River Valley site created by Ronald Affolter
- Minnesota River Basin Data Center
- Links to Minnesota River Valley Cities and Counties
Audio Stories and Production...
The folks below are all involved in some way with the collection, preservation, and presentation of audio stories. Most of these groups have, in one way or another, inspired our work at Voices from the Valley.
- Big Shed Audio Documentaries – Creative independent storytelling from a wide range of producers
- Center for Documentary Studies at Duke University – Check out the courses in audio as well as the Center's own audio work (you don't have to be a Duke student to take courses; the summer audio workshops are outstanding)
- Kitchen Sisters – Unique "off-beat" audio work
- Radio Diaries – A National Public Radio series featuring personal stories/diaries
- Sound Portraits – Compelling audio documentary work from David Isay
- Storycorps – A national "listening project" featuring stories and excellent how-to info about collecting your own stories
- Studs Terkel: Conversations with America – Website featuring the work and thoughts of arguably the most famous oral historian – Studs Terkel
- This American Life – Quirky audio storytelling from WBEZ in Chicago
- Transom.org – These folks showcase audio work but, more importantly, this site helps non-professionals create audio stories--You'll find advice on everything from equipment to editing to writing narration
In case you want to buy your own equipment...
Members of the Voices from the Valley Advisory Board have and good luck with these stores...
Miscellaneous materials of interest...
- Third Place Audio--A blog featuring how-to materials ranging from editing tips to advice on writing interview questions. You'll also find detailed handouts on using the audio equipment available at Minnesota State Mankato and the Blue Earth County Historical Society.