Cookbook - Main DishesPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/wellness/cookbook/maincourses/fajitapasta/
- 1/2 lb Rotini or any short cut pasta*
- 1/2 lb 99% fat free ground turkey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- Salt and pepper*
- 1 (15 oz) can organic diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning mix*
- 1/4 cup 2% shredded cheddar cheese*
- Chopped cilantro, sour cream or Guacamole for garnish*
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt heavily, cook pasta until al dente. Drain and pour into a large casserole dish.
- *In a large skillet, cook turkey over medium heat, season with salt and pepper. When cooked, pour into casserole dish with pasta.
- *In the same skillet, add mushrooms, zucchini, peppers, onion and garlic, Saute veggies for 10 to 15 milt and pepper. Pour into casserole dish.
- Add tomatoes and taco seasoning to casserole; stir well to mix all ingredients. Top with cheddar cheese and put in the oven.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until cheese is melted and pasta is bubbly. Plate and serve with garnishes. Serves 4.
*Use whole-wheat pasta. Replace salt with a no-sodium product. Choose a reduced fat seasoning mix. Try reduced fat or fat-free cheese. Optional items: choose light or fat-free options to reduce calories.
*Instead of sautÃ©ing meat and veggies, try baking or grilling them.