Cookbook - Main DishesPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/wellness/cookbook/maincourses/stuffedgreenpeppers/
Stuffed Green Peppers
- 4 medium to large green peppers, halved lengthwise
- 1 lb hamburger*
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice*
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- Garlic salt to taste*
- 2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce*
- Remove seeds and membranes from peppers.
- Mix hamburger, rice, cheese, salt, pepper and 1 can tomato sauce. Pile into pepper halves in casserole pan.
- Pout remaining sauce over peppers and a little parmesan cheese. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.
- This also works great on the grill. Wrap 2 or 3 stuffed peppers in foil and place on hot grill for 30 to 45 minutes.
*Use ground turkey versus beef to help reduce calories and fat. Replace rice with whole-grain (brown) or wild rice. Use garlic powder instead of garlic salt. Look for tomato sauce offered in low sodium or reduced fat options. You can also use V8 juice.