Cookbook - Main DishesPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/wellness/cookbook/maincourses/turkeysausagepie/
Turkey Sausage Pie
- 9 inch deep pie crust, thawed if frozen*
- 7 oz Italian turkey sausage
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1 cup evaporated skimmed milk
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 4 oz part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded*
- 1/8 tsp salt*
- Pinch ground pepper
- 1 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. With a fork, prick bottom and sides or pie crust; set aside.
- *In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook sausage 2 to 3 minutes, breaking up large pieces with back of wooden spoon. Add onions; cook 4 to 5 minutes, until soft.
- Place sausage and onions in pie crust; place broccoli on top of sausage.
- In medium bowl, combine milk, egg substitute, mozzarella cheese, salt and pepper. Pour into crust. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top of filling.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until filling is set and top is browned. Cool on rack 10 minutes before serving. 8 servings.
*Use a reduced calorie pie crust, light or fat-free cheese and a no-sodium salt product.
*Instead of frying, try baking or microwaving the sausage, pat dry with paper towels to reduce fat.