Cookbook - SidesPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/wellness/cookbook/sides/blackbeantomatoquinoa/
Black-Bean and Tomato Quinoa
- 2 tsp grated lime zest
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled* (or 2 tbsp olive oil)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp sugar*
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 (14 to 15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Whisk together lime zest and juice, butter, oil, sugar, 1/2 tsp pepper in a large bowl.
- Wash quinoa according to package directions.
- Put quinoa and 2 cups water in a medium pot, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Add quinoa to dressing and toss until dressing is absorbed, then stir in remaining ingredients and salt and pepper to taste. Makes 4 servings.
*Try a trans-fat free butter substitute. Replace white sugar with sugar substitute.
Variations: add a chopped avocado and cumin to taste.