Cookbook - SoupsPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/wellness/cookbook/soups/germanvegetablechowder/
German Vegetable Chowder
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef*
- 2 medium onions
- 46 ox bottle of V8 juice or tomato juice, low sodium
- 3 large stalks of celery-diced
- 4 large carrots-diced
- 3 medium potatoes-diced (try sweet potatoes)
- 1 (15 oz) can whole corn (not drained)
- 1/2 green pepper-chopped
- 2 tsp beef bouillon dissolved in 1 cup hot water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Brown meat with onion. Put in a large kettle and add juice, beef bouillon/water, celery and carrots. Simmer slowly until tender.
- Add potatoes and green pepper. Simmer. Add corn and seasonings. Heat and stir occasionally while cooking.
Makes 2.5 quarts.
*Substitute with ground turkey or soy crumbles.