Cookbook - SoupsPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/wellness/cookbook/soups/turkeypumpkinchili/
Turkey Pumpkin Chili
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 medium sized peppers, diced (1 red and 1 green)
- 1 lbs ground turkey*
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1 small can diced green chili peppers
- 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes*
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes8
- 15 oz can pumpkin puree, or 2 cups homemade
- Brown the turkey with the seasonings and combine with remaining ingredients in a crock-pot and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Serve with your favorite chili toppings-cilantro, green onion, cheese, etc.
Makes 4 very generous servings.
*Use a meatless product in place of ground turkey. Reduce sodium tomatoes or by dicing fresh tomatoes, crushing fresh tomatoes and adding a low-sodium tomato juice.
*Instead of sauteing meat, try baking it.
Nutrition facts (without additional toppings)
- 436.4 calories
- 9.8 g total fat
- 80.1 mg cholesterol
- 1,267.7 mg sodium
- 58.4 g total carbohydrates
- 16.8 g dietary fiber
- 36 protein