What is WAC?Page address: http://www.mnsu.edu/writing/about.html
Writing Across the Curriculum (WAC) programs emerged in the 1980s. The philosophies underlying these programs generally agree on certain basic principle:
- that writing is the responsibility of the entire academic community
- that writing must be integrated across departmental boundaries
- that writing instruction must be continuous during all four years of undergraduate education
- that writing promotes learning
- that only practicing the conventions of an academic discipline will students begin to communicate effectively within that discipline
At MSU, WAC is a cross-disciplinary writing initiative that links all of the writing intensive courses students take towards their graduation requirement. Our WAC initiative works with faculty, available campus resources, and students in order to provide comprehensive writing support.