Podiatric Medicine and Surgery (Pre-Podiatric Medicine and Surgery)
Podiatric Medicine and Surgery is a pre-professional program. The purpose of pre-professional programs is to provide students with the intellectual and academic backgrounds they will need before continuing their education in degrees not offered at Minnesota State Mankato. Acceptance to professional educational institutions is contingent upon academic performance, so students enrolling in pre-professional programs should be highly motivated and realize they are expected to maintain standards of excellence. Advisors play an important role in guiding the students enrolled in such programs so students are urged to contact the advisor before enrolling.
The minimum requirements for admission to a college of podiatric medicine and surgery are the same as for osteopathic medicine and surgery. A minimum of 90 semester hours are required for admission; however, most students admitted to a college of podiatric medicine and surgery have completed undergraduate degrees. Students interested in podiatric medicine will find that majoring in Biomedical Sciences (BS), or Biochemistry (BA or BS) will provide them with appropriate undergraduate training. The Medical College Admissions Test is required for all applicants to colleges of podiatric medicine and surgery. Students in this program should regularly consult with the advisor.
Policies & Faculty
There are no requirements for MATH in this program; however, the student needs prerequisites in Math to take courses in chemistry and physics.
Required General Education (78 credits)
- ENG 101 Composition (4)
- ENG 201W Intermediate Writing (4)
- PSYC 101 Introduction to Psychological Science (4)
- SOC 101 Introduction to Sociology (3)
Recommended Support Courses (4-7 credits)
- MATH 112 College Algebra (4) AND
- MATH 113 Trigonometry (3) OR
- MATH 115 Precalculus Mathematics (4)
Required for Majors (35 credits)
- BIOL 105 General Biology I (4)
- BIOL 106 General Biology II (4)
- CHEM 201 General Chemistry I (5)
- CHEM 202 General Chemistry II (5)
- CHEM 322 Organic Chemistry I (4)
- CHEM 324 Organic Chemistry II (3)
- CHEM 325 Organic Chemistry II Lab (1)
- CHEM 360 Principles of Biochemistry (4) OR
- CHEM 460 Biochemistry II (3)
- PHYS 211 Principles of Physics I (4)
- PHYS 212 Principles of Physics II (4)
Required Electives (40-43 credits)
- Electives to yield a total of 90 semester credits are required.
College of Science, Engineering & Technology