Incomplete (“I”) Grades for Faculty
The grade of "Incomplete" is reserved for special cases and means that, because of extenuating circumstances, the student failed to meet an important requirement of the course but has in other respects done passing work for the semester.
- A student and instructor must have a signed "Incomplete Contract" stating the assigned grade for the course is "I".
- Completion of course requirements must occur by the end of the following semester unless the instructor sets a shorter time limit.
- For courses in spring semester, the following semester is fall. A grade of "I" automatically changes to "F" or "NC" at the end of that following semester if no other grade is assigned.
- The instructor may require the student to attend the same course in a subsequent term in order to complete the "important requirements of the course that need to be completed to determine the final assigned grade."
- In no other instances is a student allowed to attend a course without registering for it. Students completing an Incomplete should not re-register for the same class.
- Students completing an Incomplete cannot use these credits for enrollment or financial aid purposes in subsequent terms.
- Incomplete grades count as credits attempted but not as credits earned.
- All Incompletes must have a grade posted before a degree will be awarded.
- Incomplete grades will affect satisfactory Academic and Financial Progress.
- In addition to the guidelines noted above, completing the work for a grade of "I" by graduate students is not considered to be enrollment for purposes of the graduate student enrollment policy that graduate students enroll for at least one credit during the semester of graduation.
Never post an Incomplete grade without consulting the student.
If you determine, after discussion with the student, that an incomplete grade is warranted, refer the student to submit an electronic "Incomplete Contract."
- The student starts the process by logging in to Incomplete Contracts and chooses "Create New."
Instructions Part 1
A student may initiate a request for an incomplete contract because of failure to meet an important requirement of the course but has in other respects done passing work for the semester. Assignment of the incomplete grade is at the discretion of the instructor. The following criteria must be met before an incomplete grade will be assigned:
- The student has attended a majority of the course meetings and completed a majority of the coursework requirements.
- The student must be passing the course at the time of the incomplete request.
- All remaining work must be completed by a mutually agreed upon date by the student and the instructor.
- Incomplete grades are not intended to allow students to attend a course during a future semester without re-enrolling. However, the instructor may require the student to attend the same course in a subsequent term in order to complete the "important requirements of the course that need to be completed to determine the final assigned grade." A student completing an incomplete should not re-register for the same class.
- Incomplete work must be completed by the date indicated in the contract. If the remaining work is not completed by the due date, the incomplete (I) grade will revert to the grade of "F" or "NC" dependent on the grading method chosen by student at registration.
Instructions Part 2
The student enters the information regarding the Incomplete request and then clicks "Submit" to send the request to the instructor.
Your request for an Incomplete(I) has been submitted to the instructor. The instructor will notify you of the approval/denial within 10 business days.
A request for an incomplete has been submitted by one of your students. Please log in and approve or deny the request within 10 business days.
Instructions Part 3
You can approve or deny the request for an Incomplete grade.
If you approve the request:
- Enter the information about the work to be completed and the timeframe.
- Send the contract back to the student.
Instructor Response Student Notification
Your request for an Incomplete (I) has been approved. See Incomplete Contract for further details.
Please note that completion of course requirements must occur by the end of the following semester unless the instructor sets a shorter time limit.
Your Request for an Incomplete has been denied. See Incomplete Contract Comments for further details or contact your instructor. For information regarding Incomplete grades, go to Incomplete ("I") Grades.
Instructions Part 4
Department Chair Notification:
An instructor in your department has initiated an Incomplete Contract with a student. To view the contract, go to Incomplete Contract.
The Incomplete Contract is archived in the electronic grading system. It will be available to the instructor, department chair, and academic dean.
Check system at the end of term to check that an incomplete contract has been submitted for each Incomplete Grade.
Incomplete Grade Conversion
If a student has not completed the course requirements by the end of the following semester (or the shorter deadline stated in the contract), or if a grade change is not posted, the Incomplete will automatically convert to an "F" or "NC".
To prevent an Incomplete grade from converting to "F" or "NC", work with your student to get the remaining coursework completed and then submit a grade change via E-services/Grade Change.
Instructors and students will be sent a reminder via e-mail approximately 1 month before the end of the term.
Questions concerning Incomplete grades should be directed to Registration and Academic Records via Maverick OneStop at https://onestop.mnsu.edu/app/registrar.