In Progress (“IP”) Grades

Definition of In Progress Grades

Instructors may assign the grade of “IP” (In Progress) to students whose work at the end of a term is still in progress because the course, by design or by arrangement prior to registration, requires more than one term to complete all assignments. The definition and procedure are available in the University Grading Policy.

The In Progress grade is not recommended for students who have extenuating circumstances based on COVID-19. The Incomplete grade is the recommended procedure for extenuating circumstances related to the pandemic.


  • The course must be approved for IP grading. (Examples: Thesis, Alternate Plan Paper, Study Abroad)
  • The course must be designed with the intention that it would not be completed by the end of the semester.
  • At the end of the semester, enter the grade of IP.
  • When the student completes the course requirements, revise the grade using the Grade Change tool in E-Services.

In Progress grades count as credits attempted and as credits earned. Therefore, the IP will not have a negative impact on students for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAPS).

The student must complete the course requirements within one year. (Thesis and dissertation credits have two years to complete.)

How to prevent In Progress Grades from converting to F or NC

If the student has not completed the course requirements by the end of the year, or if a grade change is not posted, the In Progress will automatically convert to an F or NC.

To prevent an In Progress grade from converting to F or NC, work with your students to get the remaining coursework completed and then submit a grade change via E-services.

Instructors, department chairs, and academic deans can view Incomplete Grades, Incomplete Contracts, In Progress grades, grade changes and missing grades for present and past semesters via the electronic grading system.


Questions concerning in Incomplete grades should be directed to Registration and Academic Records via Maverick OneStop at

The University Grading Policy is available at University Grading Policy.