Once You Are Approved for OPT
Reporting: SEVP Portal Account
- Use the SEVP Portal Account to report any changes to your address or employer within 10 days! Events to report include: start date, end date, new work location.
- You will receive an email from SEVP detailing how to set up your SEVP Portal Account.
- If you do not receive your notification:
- After 90 days of unemployment your record will be auto-terminated, and you will start accruing unlawful presence in the United States.
- If you are approaching 90 days of unemployment, know that you can volunteer 20 hours per week to maintain your status.
- Volunteer positions cannot be compensated and cannot be in a position that would otherwise be paid.
- Volunteer positions should be reported in SEVP Portal Account like other employment information. Record that it is a volunteer position.
- Failure to report employer information will be recorded as unemployment time!
Travel on OPT
Please understand that there are risks and challenges when traveling on OPT; however, if you decide to travel you should make sure your SEVP Portal Account is up to date and that you travel with all the following documentation:
- Passport valid for six months after your arrival date
- Valid F-1 visa (unless you are a Canadian citizen)
- I-20 with travel signature and updated OPT information
- I-797 receipt notice
- Evidence of job (letter from employer, pay stub, etc.)
- Valid Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card
- Evidence of financial support (strongly recommended)