Faculty & StaffPage address: https://www.mnsu.edu/access/faculty/
This portion of the web site contains information for faculty and staff. Hopefully, it will assist you in understanding the needs of students with disabilities and provide you with information about services, policies, and procedures. In addition, it can guide you as you assist and integrate students with disabilities into the classroom so they have equal access to classroom instruction.
We encourage and welcome healthy, constructive discussions. Please call or schedule time with the Director, Julie Snow, or Assistant Director, Beth Claussen, in Accessibility Resources to visit about a student concern or other disability-related issue.
Accessibility Resources is located in 132 Memorial Library and can be reached at 389-2825.
Academic Technology Services
Academic Technology Services is located in Memorial Library 88 and 3010 and provides accessibility services including:
- accessability consulting
- media captioning support
- accessability landscape monitoring and development services
In A Nutshell
In an effort to support students with disabilities, attention to the following by faculty is most helpful:
- Refer request for accommodations to Accessibility Resources
- Forward any documentation provided by students to Accessibility Resources (or return to the student, shred, etc… do not keep).
- Include the “accessibility statement” on your course syllabi.
- Announce at the beginning of the term: Students who may need accommodation for a disability can make an appointment to see me during my office hours to discuss your needs.” This approach preserves students’ privacy and also indicates the willingness of the faculty member to provide assistance as needed.
- Confidentiality of all disability information is essential. At no time should the class be informed that a student has a disability, except at the student’s expressed request. All disability documentation must be stored in Accessibility Resources.
- Promptly recruit notetakers after receiving notice from Accessibility Resources.
- Contact Accessibility Resources at 389-2825 with questions, concerns, or clarification if needed.
Faculty/DO IT Faculty Room/Universal Design
"Universal Design is the design of products and environments to be usable by all people, to the greatest extent possible, without the need for adaptation or specialized design." (Center for Universal Design)
The Faculty Room is a space for faculty and administration at postsecondary institutions to learn about how to create classroom environments and activities that maximize the learning of all students, including those with disabilities.
Additionally the Faculty Room website offers ample information on faculty rights and responsibilities, disability resources, and strategies as you work with students with disabilities.