In an effort to support students with disabilities, attention to the following by faculty is most helpful:
- Refer request for accommodations to the Office of Disability Services
- Forward any documentation provided by students to the Office of Disability Services (or return to the student, shred, etc… do not keep).
- Include the “accessibility statement” on your course syllabi.
- Announce at the beginning of the term: “Students who may need accommodation for a disability can make an appointment to see me during my office hours to discuss your needs.” This approach preserves students’ privacy and also indicates the willingness of the faculty member to provide assistance as needed.
- Confidentiality of all disability information is essential. At no time should the class be informed that a student has a disability, except at the student’s expressed request. All disability documentation must be stored in the Office of Disability Services.
- Promptly recruit notetakers after receiving notice from the Office of Disability Services.
- Contact the Office of Disability Services at 389-2825 with questions, concerns, or clarification if needed.