StudentsPage address: https://www.mnsu.edu/access/rights/students.html
Students' Rights and Responsibilities
Section 504 of the Vocational Rehabilitation Act Amendments, 1973 states:
"No otherwise qualified person with a disability in the United States…shall, solely by reason of disability, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance."
All students have the right:
- To receive necessary reasonable accommodations and support services to allow equal access to Minnesota State University, Mankato.
- To be treated by faculty and staff with dignity and respect.
- To have discussions of their disability kept in confidence until permission of disclosure is given.
- To report a grievance to Accessibility Resources if they feel that their disability related needs are not being met.
All students have the responsibility:
- To identify themselves as an individual with a disability when seeking an accommodation.
- To provide current (within three years) documentation from an appropriate professional source that verifies the nature of the disability, functional limitations, and the need for specific accommodations.
- To follow specific procedures for obtaining reasonable and appropriate accommodations including initiating certain services each semester in a timely manner. Accommodation procedures are described in the student handbook or through review by appointment with staff in Accessibility Resources.
- To meet the University's qualifications including essential technical, academic, and institutional standards.
Discrimination Complaint Procedures