Orientation & TrainingPage address: https://www.mnsu.edu/advance/orientation.html
Welcome! We’re excited you’re a part of our team. Below are some tips to help you get acquainted with University Advancement. If you have questions, please ask your supervisor.
Visit Relocating to Mankato for helpful information.
On your own, please review Human Resources’ guide to starting your new job, including information about parking permits, your ID card, keys, etc. Please note, there are a few steps listed (such as computer access) that cannot occur until after your official start date. Please talk with your supervisor about how to make that happen.
Your supervisor will complete the HR Orientation Checklist with you within your first few days. Your supervisor will also discuss the following:
- Work hours
- Review of job description and performance evaluation process/expectations and forms
- Organizational Charts
- Division meeting schedule
- Department/unit meeting schedule
- Weekly or other regular reports, per the supervisor’s preference
Learn about completing your biweekly timesheets here.
Travel and Expense
Travel and expense reports require several forms, some of which need to be completed in advance. Here’s where to find the forms and information about them:
- Expense reimbursement
- Business Services Contacts
- Foundation Accounting FAQs
Our ITS Division provides tech support to the entire campus, including help with MavMail (campus email and scheduling), MavDisk (storage on the University server, for all faculty, staff and students) and the phone system. You can reach the Help Desk at x6654.
We use Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge (RE) as our alumni and donor database. Learn about RE here.
Explore NetCommunity, our online community linked to RE, here.
Need to order Business cards or anything else in print? Printing and Photocopy Services provides graphic design, photocopy and printing services guidance with the University’s graphic standards. You can reach Printing Services at x1181.
Need office supplies? Purchase from Innovative Office Solutions. Talk with your supervisor about how to make the purchase.
View the University’s org charts here.
We’re members of the Council for Advancement and Support of Higher Education. Learn about CASE here.
Following are some general resources useful to all employees:
- The Campus Hub, our central point for general campus info (the MavCard office, beside the Hub, is where you’ll get your magnetic nametag)
- Employee resource guide
- Safety at work
- University Security
- Receiving text-message alerts from University Security
All members of the Division are encouraged to work with their supervisors to create a professional development plan, including attendance at Professional Development Day.
HR has several resources for training and development, including a “mentor match” program. Any employee can participate; begin by talking with your supervisor.
The lists below include topics for training within each department of University Advancement. Talk with your supervisor about how to move forward with training in any of these areas.
- Database management and data cleansing
- List requests for faculty and staff
- Import of grads
- Gift receipting
- Forms: Go to N:University AdvancementPublicDirector of Development
Alumni Relations and Special Events:
- Foundation Gala
- Distinguished Alumni Awards
- Other events
- View and add items to the University Advancement calendar: when in Outlook, click on the "Folder List" tab or icon in the lower left area, then select the following folders: "Public Folders", "All Public Folders", "Departments", "University Advancement", "Events-Calendar"
- Alumni Association Board
- Social media
- Foundation Accounting Practices
- Foundation Board policies, procedures and committee functions
- Memberships and Conferences: ASHE, MPGC, CFRE and AFP
- Planned Giving
- Prospect Research
- Raiser’s Edge in depth
- College-based scholarships
- Annual Fund
- Annual Giving (call center, mailings and the Campus Drive)
- President's Society