Family Education Rights and Privacy ActPage address: https://www.mnsu.edu/campushub/ferpa/student/
Data Privacy Protection
As a college student, you, rather than your parents, have the right to control the disclosure of your education records to the extent permitted by law.
FERPA & MGDP
The Family Education Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA), the Minnesota Government Data Practices (MGDP) Act, and University policies require that specific information related to a student’s educational records, including financial information, may not be shared with anyone (including parents and spouses) other than the student unless otherwise authorized by law. The law does not consider age, so even if you are under the age of 18, the privacy laws still apply.
You may wish to have one or more of your parents or others involved and able to access your university financial records. If that is the case, please fill out and submit the Authorization for Release of Information to authorize the MSU Student Financial Services staff to discuss these private matters with them. You may start or stop an authorization to release this private information at any time by submitting an updated form to the Campus Hub.
Important notes about this authorization:
- It must be filled out by the student.
- It is voluntary, not required.
- You may select any or all of the categories of information you wish to share with the authorized person(s).
- It must be signed in the presence of Campus Hub or Student Financial Services staff, or your signature must be witnessed by a notary public - photo identification is required to verify your signature - DO NOT SIGN IN ADVANCE
- The authorization may be used for more than one person if at the same address. If you wish to authorize persons at different addresses, please request an additional form from the Campus Hub.
- Once you submit this form, please allow 1-2 business days for your authorization to be updated to our records before the individual(s) named will receive access to your information.
Students may grant access to their private information by completing an Authorization for Release of Information form (PDF)