shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

MSU Students Attending Another School

Page address:

A consortium agreement may be requested that grants financial aid eligibility for courses that are applicable to a student’s degree program at Minnesota State University, Mankato (MSU) but are taken at another school. The consortium agreement is approved on an individual, course-specific basis; no financial aid is disbursed to the student for enrollment at another school without appropriate arrangements.

  • Credits must be required for degree or certificate program and not be available at MSU during a term that allows for timely progress toward your degree.
  • If you are approved for a consortium agreement, financial aid is disbursed to you and you are responsible for making payment to the other institution. Each institution will bill you separately and credits cannot be combined toward MSU banded tuition.
  • If your consortium agreement is not finalized prior to the other institution’s registration cancellation date you may be at risk of having your classes cancelled there. You are responsible for monitoring your registration status and meeting the financial requirements of the other institution.
  • The consortium agreement requires that you make a request for your official transcript to be sent to Minnesota State Mankato, Office of the Registrar, when you have completed the credits at the other institution.

Requesting a financial aid consortium agreement

Note: if your course enrollment relates to a Study Abroad/Away travel experience or participation in a National Student Exchange program, please refer to the information provided below to work with the offices coordinating those programs.

  1. Contact the Campus Hub to obtain the appropriate Consortium Agreement form and process instructions.
  2. Provide all required information and documentation as outlined on the Consortium Agreement form, including but not limited to:
    • Student’s Name
    • Student’s StarID or Tech ID
    • Student’s Major
    • Name of Host Institution where course(s) will be taken
    • Semester in which course(s) will be taken at the other school (host institution)
    • Detailed information about course(s) to be taken: Course ID, Course Title, # of Credits, and Instructor
  3. Obtain written approval from your MSU academic advisor and written confirmation from the MSU Office of the Registrar that assures the course(s) taken will transfer in and are officially acknowledged as applicable to your degree.
  4. Submit your completed Consortium Agreement form and all required information to the Campus Hub in person or by email to or by mail to Student Financial Services, 120 Wigley Administration Center, Mankato, MN 56001.
  5. Watch for e-mail follow-up regarding the status of your Consortium Agreement. Confirm all requirements have been met for an approved agreement, or provide additional information as needed. Requests for financial aid eligibility will be denied if all requirements for an approved agreement are not met.

Maintaining eligibility once a financial aid consortium agreement is approved

  1. Complete and earn passing grade(s) for course(s) taken at your host institution.
  2. Request an official transcript from the host institution to be sent to the Office of the Registrar at Minnesota State University, Mankato.
  3. Confirm your Minnesota State University, Mankato academic records reflect grade(s) earned at your host institution.

Study Abroad / Away

A financial aid consortium agreement is needed to obtain eligibility for courses that require enrollment at another school. Additional financial aid eligibility may also be requested to cover the enrollment and travel costs associated with these programs.

A financial aid consortium agreement is not needed for programs led by MSU faculty that include enrollment in courses offered through MSU. However, additional financial aid eligibility may be requested to cover the travel costs associated with these programs.

For specific guidance on the requirements and resources available, visit the Center for Education Abroad and Away during office hours at Room 3 Morris Hall (lower level), by phone at 507-389-1281, or via email to

Study Abroad/Away Information

National Student Exchange (NSE)

Minnesota State University, Mankato participates in the National Student Exchange (NSE) with approximately 200 institutions across the continental U.S, Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam. U.S. Virgin Islands and four Canadian provinces. Minnesota State Mankato students pay tuition and fees to MSU to study at another participating school for a semester or a year. In addition, Minnesota State Mankato processes financial aid for students participating in NSE programs just as it would if the student was taking MSU classes. A financial aid consortium agreement is not needed.

Students must meet eligibility and application requirements for approval to participate in National Student Exchange. Visit the Center for Education Abroad and Away National Student Exchange Information page for specific guidance.