shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato


Page address:

College of Arts and Humanities Advising: Frequently Asked Questions

How do I declare my major?

To declare your major visit the department of the major you want to declare. You will then also be assigned an academic advisor.

Department Office # Phone #
Art Nelson Hall 135 (507)389-6412
Communication Studies Armstrong Hall 230 (507)389-2213
English Armstrong Hall 230 (507)389-2217
Humanities Armstrong Hall 230 (507)389-2217
Mass Media Nelson Hall 136 (507)389-6417
Music Performing Arts 202 (507)389-5867
Interdisciplinary Studies Armstrong Hall 230 (507)389-2213
Philosophy Armstrong Hall 227 (507)389-2012
Scandinavian Studies Armstrong Hall 227 (507)389-2216
Theatre and Dance Performing Arts 201 (507)389-1608
World Languages and Cultures Armstrong Hall 227 (507)389-2116

I don't know who my advisor is, how do I find out?

To determine who your advisor is, go to the MSU Website, and under Current STudents, select E-Services. Once you are there, enter your Star ID and password. You will then be taken to your studen account. Select "Courses and Registration" from the left column, and then click on "View/Modify Class Schedule." Your advisor's name will appear at the top of your schedule. If you do not have an advisor assigned, contact the main office of your major to request one.

When and how am I admitted to my major?

Remember, declaring and being admitted to your major are different things.

  1. To declare your major visit the department of the major you want to declare (See: How do I declare my Major)
  2. To be admitted, each program has specific requirements for admission to the major. Many have formal application processes, GPA, pre-requisite courses, and credit requirements. Consult the Undergraduate Catalog, department webpage, and information provided within each department for more details. It is very important to work closely with your advisor to prepare for timely admission to your chosen major.

What do I do if I get placed on academic warning or probation?

Academic warning occurs if your cumulative local GPA drops below 2.0 or your cumulative completion rate drops below 67%. You should receive email notification from the Academic Affairs Office and the College Advising Office if this occurs, and you should also monitor your progress closely each time you receive your grade reports. The first step in addressing academic warning or probation is to make an appointment with the College Advising Office, 507-389-1712. They will help you assess your needs and options, and guide you through the academic warning/probation advising process. Be aware that a hold will be placed on your record until you successfully complete this process.

I am trying to register and there is a hold on my account. What do I do? Registration Holds

Registration holds are placed on student's accounts for several different reasons. To determine if you have any outstanding holds, check your E-services account. After logging in, select "Courses & Registration," and "Check Registration Holds" to determine if you currently have any holds.

Code Hold Contact Phone #
0032 Admissions Admissions Office (507)389-1822
0031 Unpaid Balance Campus Hub (507)389-1866
0060 Collection Agency Cashier's Office (507)389-2259
0038 Financial Aid (Codes 41, 139, 165) Campus Hub (507)389-1866
0070 Housing Residential Life (507)389-1011
0005 Immunization Student Health Services (507)389-6276
0058 International Student Kearny International Center (507)389-1281
0013 Orientation New Student & Family Programs (507)389-5498
0022 Overdue Resource Material Memorial Library (507)389-5064
0061 Post-Secondary Enrollment New Student & Faculty Programs (507)389-5498
0001 Probation (Arts & Humanities Majors) New Student & Faculty Programs (507)389-1712
0002 Academic Suspension Academic Affairs (507)389-1333
0093 Academic Warning (Arts and Humanities Majors) Academic Advising Office (507)389-1712

How do I get permission to take more than 18 credits in a semester?

The Undergraduate Credit Hour Overload Request Form may be obtained from the Registration Help Center (1st Floor of Wigley Administration Building) or it may be downloaded from the Forms page at [PDF] (11 KiB). This form must be completed, signed by your faculty advisor, chairperson (and Dean if your request is over 21 Credits

How do I enroll in an upper division (3/400 level) course if I haven't been admitted into a major

Enrollment in uppder division courses without admission to a major requires permission from the respective department chairperson. This permission is temporary, and only applies to the term it is granted.

I'm a transfer student. How do I find out how my credits will fit into the requirements at MSU and those of my major?

General transfer evaluations are done by the Office of the Registrar for each transfer student. This general transfer audit will indicate how your credits fulfill the General Education requirements at MSU. Transfer courses that may be related to your major must be evaluated within the department to determine if course substitutions or waivers will be allowed. Be sure to provide this information for review to your advisor, department chair, or designee far in advance of registration, so you know your standing within the major. Check with the department for their specific process and timelines.