Stuttering and Bilingualism in Children and Adults

[ Contents | Search | Post | Reply | Next | Previous | Up ]

Re: Stuttering & Bilingualism (Adults)

From: Brian Humphrey
Date: 12 Oct 2008
Time: 18:43:25 -0500
Remote Name:


Z.A., you wrote: I was wondering if it is common to begin stuttering or become disfluent in one of the languages that you speak as an adult? - - - - - Z.A., when stuttering appears in adulthood, we call it acquired stuttering, rather than developmental stuttering. For further information on neurogenic stuttering (one form of acquired stuttering) see my paper in the 2007 ISAD conference, and see also Dr. Luc de Nil's paper in the 2007 ISAD conference. The question of whether acquired stuttering may differentially affect the languages spoken by a bilingual person is an intriguing one. - BH

Last changed: 10/12/08