Some Apps for Stuttering
This is a page featuring some APPs that are currently being marketed for stuttering. No endorsement is implied. If you know of other APPs, you may suggest them by contacting Judy Kuster
NOT recommended - just as people try to sell "cures" for stuttering on the Internet, some are starting to use APPs to sell their ideas. They are not linked here. You can explore them if you want by entering the title into Google or on Yahoo APPs search. The prices listed were current on February 23, 2012.
- Stuttering - Its Cause and Cure - 99 cents for iPhone
- Prevent Stuttering - Tips and Tricks to Help Combat Stuttering
- 99 cents for iPhone in one place, same thing under Prevent Stuttering - $9.99 for iPhone in another place
- Stuttering - Simple Techniques To Control Your Stutter - 99 cents for iPhone
- Stuttering: Discover Simple Techniques to Help Control Your Stutter! - $2.99 for iPhone
- Stammering: Its Cause and Cure - by Benjamin Bogue - historically interesting, but certainly NOT a cure!! - $2.99 for iPhone (The book is also available free online in the Gutenberg library and you can read about this "school" started in 1919 and hear from someone who attended if you are interested by putting "bogue" into the search engine of The Stuttering Home Page.
The following are APPs that I cannot be sure about. May be worth checking if you are interested on spending money, but I have not downloaded or evaluated them so explore them carefully before investing in any of them.
Free APPs - Worth checking out
- Speech4Good stuttering and speech therapy with DAF aap available only in the Apple Store for iOS devices (currently $4.99 for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch 7.0 or later) features:
- speech center: a visual dashboard for practice
- speech graph (oscilloscope) displays in real-time
- delayed auditory feedback (DAF at adjustable levels 20-300ms
- record, add notes, and playback speech samples
- custom-built library to save and organize files by date
- email recordings and session notes.
- DAF Assistant for iPhone and iPod Touch (currently costs $12.99). Has Delayed Auditory Feedback and Frequency-shifting Auditory Feedback techniques on Apple iPhone and iPod Touch. Can be used by people with stuttering to control speech fluency, slow down speech rate, increase confidence level and develop good speaking habits. Features:
- Delayed auditory feedback (DAF) delays your voice to your ears a fraction of a second. The application provides delay range from 20 to 320 milliseconds. The delay increment step is 10 milliseconds. A short delay ( 50-120 milliseconds) almost instantly reduces stuttering without changing the speech speaking rate. A longer delay (120-320 milliseconds) makes you stretch your vowels and talk slower. This can help with even severe stuttering, but requires training, mental effort, and may sound abnormal.
- Frequency Altered Feedback (FAF) shifts the pitch of your voice. The application provides pitch shift in the range from one-half octave down to one-half octave up. The FAF enhances the effectiveness of the application when is used simultaneously with DAF.
- Application saves configured settings when it is closed and restores them when it is restarted.
- We recommend to use Apple headphones with Remote and Mic ($29.00) which is available in Apple Store.
- Application supports Bluetooth headsets on iPhone.
- Easy to install, easy to use.
- Disfluency Index Counter by Smarty Ears (currently $9.99 and available in English, Spanish and Portuguese). "The Disfluency Index Counter app allows Speech and Language Therapists to perform a live count of the number of fluent or disfluent syllables. This application comes with two styles of counters: A simple and an advanced counter. After data is collected, the Disfluency Index Counter provides:
The advanced counter allows therapists to specifically identify the types of disfluencies exhibited by the client. The SLP can choose from Block, Prolongation or Repetition.
- Total number of words/syllables:
- Number of fluent words/syllables:
- Number of disfluent words/syllables:
- The percentage of fluent words/syllables:
- The percentage of disfluent words/syllables.
- Easy AAF by Speech and Language Solutions Limited (current cost $9.99) can be used with Apple Headphones with Remote and Mic or a Bluetooth headset and runs on iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad.
Altered Auditory Feedback (AAF)was developed by two speech and language therapists.
The user’s voice is played back with either a delay (DAF - Delayed Auditory Feedback) or a shift in frequency (FSF – frequency shifted feedback) or a combination of both. The delayed feedback can be set between 20 ms and 250 ms. The frequency shifted feedback can be altered +/- 1 octave. Built-in recording is available. AAF works by slowing the rate of speech of the speaker and has been shown in research to result in more fluent speech in a third of people who are dysfluent as a result of Parkinson’s Disease. It can also be effective in developmental stammering. (Information summarized from above website)
- Fluency SIS created by Joseph Agius for iOS devices. (currently $10.99) "The Smart Intervention Strategy (SIS) is designed as a tool to be used by speech language pathologists and students when working with school age children who stutter aged eight years to twelve years. It provides a framework for a program which encourages creativity and humor during intervention sessions. The SIS consists of four components and different activities are included.
- Think Smart, Feel Smart
- Cool Speech
- Challenge the Dragons
- Into the 'Real' World."
- DAF Professional (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/daf-professional/id491299921?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4) (DAF Professional is also - available for ANDROID (https://market.android.com/details?id=co.speechtools.DAFPro&feature=search_result) $1.60
- Ernest, Stuttering App designed by Monica Gaiolas. For Android ($3.14) (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=toymobi.ernesto)
- DAF/FAF Pro Aid - for iPhone (http://download.cnet.com/DAF-FAF-Aid-Pro/3000-2129_4-75652797.html)
- Speech Pacer - 4.99 for iPhone (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/speech-pacer-plus/id555195932?mt=8)
- FluencyExam - $4.99 - for iPhone (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fluencyexam/id375097558?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4)
- Stuttering Helper from Janus This application includes something for everyone, regardless of your amount of previous therapy or experience with stuttering. Keys to Fluency, Information for Parents, Fluency Strategies and Fluency Tasks covered are in this app. As well as information about the SpeechEasy fluency device, plus much more!
- MyLynel - a free APP described as "personalized speech therapy software for practicing Fluency Shaping and Stutter Modification techniques and assisting transfer to real-world conversation". (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mylynel/id540959300?mt=8)
- The Stammuai compatible with iPhone, iPod touch and iPad requires iOS 3.1.3 or later). This is a game created by teens in the UK. The description: "Ever wondered if you had what it took to be a Samurai? One young man did, the best in his class, he conquered all his demons except one, his stammer, with it he struggled to say his cool finishing moves in front of his vanquished foes. So one day he decides to go on a quest to find his voice and become the hero he always wanted to be. Made by young people 13-18 who struggle every day with speech fluency issues, the stammurai was made thanks to Mediabox, a UK fund that helps young people make media projects." Unsure if it is currently available.
added March 23, 2013
last revised Feb. 1, 2018
Return to The Stuttering Home Page