Other related fluency disorders
An extensive web page about cluttering and cluttering resources was added to the Stuttering Home Page on January 5, 2011 at http://www.mnsu.edu/comdis/kuster/cluttering.html
Neurogenic Stuttering and Associated with Neurogenic Disorders, including Late and Adult Onset Stuttering
- General resources related to Neurogenic Stuttering Disorders
- Stuttering and Apraxia
- Stuttering and CNS damage
- Stuttering and Migraine
- Michele Perino MD, Giuseppe Famularo MD, PhD and Paolo Tarroni MD (2001) Acquired Transient Stuttering During a Migraine Attack, Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain Article online at
concludes: "We suggest that acquired transient stuttering should be included in the list of neurological symptoms that can accompany a migraine attack."
- Stuttering and Parkinson's Disease
- Stuttering and Parkinson's Disease
- Anderson, et al., Developmental stuttering and Parkinson's Disease: the effects of levodopa treatment. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry, 1999, 66, 776-778. (full article)
- Shahed J, Jankovic Re-emergence of childhood stuttering in Parkinson's disease: a hypothesis. J.Mov Disord. 2001 Jan;16(1):114-8.
Re-emergence of childhood stuttering in Parkinson's disease: a hypothesis. (abstract)
- ECH Lim, E Wilder-Smith, BKC Ong, Adult-onset Re-emergent Stuttering as a
Presentation of Parkinson's Disease Ann Acad Med Singapore 2005;34:579-81 (full article)
- Mathias Toft and Espen Dietrichs Aggravated stuttering following subthalamic deep brain stimulation in Parkinson's disease - two casesBMC Neurology 2011, 11:44 doi:10.1186/1471-2377-11-44 (full article)
- Olivia Tontini Critical review: What is the evidence for a relationship between Parkinson's disease and dysfluency (full article)
- ASHA 2013 poster session - Two Cases of Reemergent Stuttering in Parkinson's Disease Presenter(s): Ryan Millager; Laura Ferriero; Alina Carter; Ellen Kelly
- How Are Speech Problems Treated? from National Parkinson Foundation
- Stuttering and Stroke
- Stuttering and Tourette Syndrome
- Stuttering and Tourette's Syndrome SFA brochure by Luc De Nil, Ph.D., Chair of the Graduate Department of Speech-Language Pathology, University of Toronto, and Paul Sandor, M.D., Director of the Tourette's Syndrome Clinic, University Health Network.
- The National Tourette Syndrome Association
- Gilles De La Tourette Syndrome from OMIM
- ATourette Syndrome primer of material by collected by Dale E. Hammerschmidt, M.D., University of Minnesota
- The Basal Ganglia's Possible Role in Stuttering: An Examination of Similarities between Stuttering, Tourette Syndrome, Dystonia, and other Neurological-Based Disorders of Movement by Larry Molt
- John A. Tetnowski and Joseph Donaher, Disfluency Associated with Tourette's Syndrome: Two Case Studies ISAD Online Conference 2003
- L. F. De Nil, I. D. Roth, J. Saltzman-Benaiah and P. Sandor, Speech, Language, and Learning Deficiencies Associated With Tourette's Syndrome, Perspectives on Neurophysiology and Neurogenic Speech and Language Disorders (Volume 16, Issue 2, June 1, 2006, pages 12-16) - https://doi.org/10.1044/nnsld16.2.12
Stuttering and Co-Existing Learning, Behavioral or Cognitive Challenges
- General resources
- Stuttering and Autism (and word-final disfluencies)
- Scaler Scott, K., Tetnowski, J. A., Flaitz, J. R. and Yaruss, J. S. (2014), Preliminary study of disfluency in school-aged children with autism. International Journal of Language & Communication Disorders, 49: 75-89. doi: 10.1111/1460-6984.12048 (Abstract. The full article is also online on through the link on the abstract page under "article")
- Part I: Speech Disfluency in Autism Spectrum Disorders: Clinical Problem Solving for Autistic Disorders by Vivian Sisskin and Kathleen Scaler Scott
- Part II: Speech Disfluency in Autism Spectrum Disorders: Clinical Problem Solving for Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified and Asperger Syndrome by Kathleen Scaler Scott and Vivian Siskin
- Autism Spectrum Disorders and Stuttering - brochure from the Stuttering Foundation
- Autism Spectrum Disorders by Kathleen Scaler Scott
- Autism Spectrum Disorders and Stuttering - a 2.5 hour DVD featuring Vivian Sisskin from the Stuttering Foundation - $10
- Kathleen Scaler Scott article Dysfluency in Autism Spectrum Disorders in Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences Volume 193, 30 June 2015, Pages 239-245 10th Oxford Dysfluency Conference, ODC 2014, 17 - 20 July, 2014, Oxford, United kingdom (Conference Proceedings)
- Kathleen Scaler Scott, Sheri Block, Nina Reeves, Sarah Nelson Speech Disfluency and Autism in Schools: Identifying Needs and Providing Support to SLPsProcedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences Volume 193, 30 June 2015, Pages 223-227 10th Oxford Dysfluency Conference, ODC 2014, 17 - 20 July, 2014, Oxford, United kingdom (Conference Proceedings)
- Kearston T. Healey, Sarah Nelson, Kathleen Scaler Scott's article Word-final Dysfluencies in Conversation of a Child with Autism: A Treatment Case Study in Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences Volume 193, 30 June 2015, Pages 147-152, 10th Oxford Dysfluency Conference, ODC 2014, 17 - 20 July, 2014, Oxford, United kingdom (Conference Proceedings)
- Word-Final Disfluencies - Bibliography
- Stuttering and Down Syndrome
- Dysfluency, Stuttering and Down Syndrome
- Stuttering and Down Syndrome Abstracts
- The Nature of Dysfluency in Down's Syndrome
- What Can We Do about Dysfluency, Stammering, Getting Stuck? from the Down's Syndrome Association Newsletter, Spring 2005
- Treating Down's Children Who Stutter by Judith Eckardt, paper written for ISAD online conference, 2008.
- Brochure: Down's Syndrome and Stuttering in html or PDF from The Stuttering Foundation.
- Speech Dysfluencies in People with Down Syndrome - Kurt Eggers, Chris De Bal, ASHA Convention PPT - 2006
- Example of mild stuttering in Down Syndrome - YouTube video of Tim who owns and operates his own restaurant in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Stuttering Treatment Can Improve Speech for Children with Down Syndrome from Speech Buddies
- Speech control in children with Down Syndrome by Howell, P. (2010) Speech control in children with Down syndrome. Down Syndrome Research and Practice, 12(2), 98-102. doi:10.3104/reviews.2095
- Stuttering treatment for a school-age child with Down syndrome: A descriptive case report Jessica Harasym and Marilyn Langevin, Journal of Fluency Disorders, Volume 37, Issue 4, December 2012, Pages 253-262 (article available on Science Direct)
- Is Stuttering Therapy Useful for Adolescents and Adults with Down Syndrome who are Dysfluent Monica Bray, Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, Volume 193, 30 June 2015, Pages 51-61 (article available on Science Direct)
- Stuttering and ADHD
- ADHD and Stuttering: A Tutorial by E. Charles Healey and Robert Reid (article was published in the Journal of Fluency Disorders (2003), Vol. 28, pp. 79-93)
Drugs and Stuttering
- Drugs and Stuttering by Judy Kuster, includes a section on drugs which may have a side effect of (or exacerbate) stuttering
Reports of "Unusual Stuttering"
- Penmanship Stuttering
by E. W. Scripture, Ph.D., M.D., visiting physician for Speech Defects to Randall's Island, New York City, reprinted from Journal of AMA, May 8, 1909, p. 1480-1481
- Stuttering playing musical instruments
- Ann Packman and Mark Onslow (1999) Fluency Disruption in Speech and in Wind Instrument Playing, Journal of Fluency Disorders, Vol 24, Issue 4, pp. 293-298
- Meltzer, A. (1992). Horn Stuttering. JOURNAL OF FLUENCY
DISORDERS, 17, 4. 257-264
- Silverman, Franklin H and Bohlman, Patricia (1988) Flute Stuttering, Journal of Fluency Disorders 13, 427-428.
- Van Riper, Charles (1952) Report of Stuttering on a Musical Instrument, Journal of Speech and Hearing Disorders, 17, 433-434.
- Stuttering in Sign Language
(a voice disorder in which momentary interruption of phonation results from sudden overadduction of the vocal folds. It is sometimes referred to as "laryngeal stuttering.")
Return to Index
updated January 25, 2020
Last modified April 30, 2020
web weaver Judy Kuster