Undated newspaper article (probably Jan. 1952) from a Madison, Wisconsin, newspaper. Accompanying this article was the picture of Miss Buchholz's first and second grade class, found elsewhere on this site. The article was send by Elaine Ziegler and added June 25, 2001.


Services at Three Churches Sunday

To Mark 25th Anniversary of Madison Lutheran School

The 25th anniversary of the Madison Lutheran school will be observed Sunday. The school is operated by the seven Synodical conference congregations of Madison and vicinity.

Services marking the event will be conducted Sunday in three of the churches. The anniversary will be marked at the school with a program in May and at other dates, not yet set, in the four other churches.

The school, which developed from a small enrollment of 23 pupils in 1927 and now carries 200 pupils on its rolls, is conducted in co-operation by congregations of the Eastside English, Holy Cross, Immanuel, Our Saviour's, Monona, Mt. Olive, and St. Paul's Lutheran churches.

Madison Lutheran school is now conducted in the eight-room building at the corner of Jenifer and Brearly sts. The building was the former Harvey school and was purchased from the city in 1945. The purchase followed formation of the Madison Lutheran School association in 1942.

Sunday the Lutheran school children's choir will sing at the 10:45 a.m. service at Our Saviour's Luther church. Principal speaker will be the Rev. Prof. N.J. Tjernagel, principal of Racine Lutheran high school.

At the 10 a.m. service in Eastside Lutheran church, Sunday school children of the congregation will be featured singers.

At Holy Cross Lutheran church Sunday, the event will be marked at the 9 a.m. service and at the Communion service at 11 a.m. Programs for the other churches have not been announced. Officers of the school board are Edward Helmke, president; A.W. Schweppe, vice-president; Norman Marozick, secretary; A. Bernhard Prescott, treasurer. The members of the board include two laymen from each church an the pastors as ex-officio members. The board members and their churches follow:

Eastside English Lutheran -- The Rev. R.A. Siegler, A.W. Schweppe, Frederic E. Buege; Immanuel Lutheran -- The Rev. A.F. Zielhlsdorf, Edward Helmke and Ray Droster. Mt. Olive Lutheran -- The Rev. William J. Rohlwing, N.R. Barger, Earl C. Nierode, Holy Cross -- The Rev. Erling Ylvisaker, Merlin Ziegler, Norman Marozick; Monona Lutheran -- The Rev. Herbert H. Ries, David Voeck, H.S. Rose; Our Saviour's Lutheran -- The Rev. Nils C. Oesleby, A. Bernhard Prescott, Oscar M. Wilson; St. Paul's Lutheran -- The Rev. Alvin F. Berg, Raymond, Jungbluth, Lester Graffin.

Members of the faculty are E. H. Behrens, principal; Norma Steinbach, Esther Buchholz, Lothar E. Stolper, and Grace Seebach.

Besides instruction in all the secular branches of the public schools, instruction in religion is given to the pupils daily.

The school board recently authorized addition of two new teachers to its faculty for next September's term due to an anticipated increase in the enrollment when 225 pupils are expected to attend the school.

Lutheran School education for Madison children began in February 1927, when a school was established by the Eastside Lutheran congregation for pupils of the first four grades and classes begun in the Gallagher Park school at the intersection of Highway 30 and Fair Oaks Ave.

Classes for pupils of grades 5 through 8 were conducted at the Eastside Lutheran church, 2540 E. Mifflin St.

In 1930 the pupils of the first four grades attending Gallagher Park school were moved to new classroom facilities at the Eastside church.

In September, 1927, another Lutheran day school was begun at Holy Cross Lutheran church.

The classes at Holy Cross and Eastside churches were combined in 1942 and all Lutheran school pupils attended class at the Eastside church building.

Classes at the Jenifer St. building have been conducted on the first floor only. However, with the anticipated increased enrollment and addition of two new teachers, two classrooms will be opened on the second floor of the building in September.

Scheduled, too, for the 1952-53 school year will be a hot lunch program authorized in December by the school board.

The school is financed by contributions of members of the seven Synodical conference congregations here. The budget is presented to all congregations according to the communicant membership of the congregations.


added June 25, 2001