Get Started EarlyPage address: https://www.mnsu.edu/ets/startearly.html
Get Started Early - Services for Middle School and Junior High Students
Educational Talent Search at Minnesota State University, Mankato has services geared especially toward 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students to develop the academic and social skills necessary to be successful in high school and enter a post-secondary education program.
Who will be able to participate in this program?
Students served by ETS must meet federally established guidelines. Participants must fall near or below income restrictions and/or belong to the first generation in their family to attend a four year college. Applications are reviewed on a case by case basis. Please check the Program Information page to verify what grades are served in each school.
What is the cost of participating?
Services are provided at no cost to the student, their family, or the school.
What services are available to the students?
- Career and academic advising/planning counseling
- Field trips to businesses and postsecondary institutions
- Summer retreat at Minnesota State University, Mankato
- Study skills workshops
- Parent meetings
- Recreational and travel opportunities
- Cultural activities to broaden awareness
What is required of the student?
Each student will be required to:
- Develop an individual career plan for success
- Meet with an advisor once per quarter
- Be committed to doing their best at school
- Attend events they are able to fit into their schedule
What activities have you had in the past?
- Business tours (Chamber, Civic Center, Post Office, Hospital, etc)
- Career Awareness: career testing