shortcut to content

Minnesota State University, Mankato

Minnesota State University, Mankato

Buildings

Page address: https://www.mnsu.edu/facilities/facilities.html

Minnesota State University's property totals 354 acres including 77 acres of protected ravine areas. For more information contact Facilities Planning at 389-2267 or facilities-planning@mnsu.edu. For pictures and more details visit MSU's Campus Tour.

Please click on the images below to display a bigger image.

tr>
Alumni Building Alumni & Foundation Building
The Minnesota State University Foundation, Inc. took the leadership and funded the initial construction of the building. The State of Minnesota later leased the space within the building to house programs like KMSU-FM, Alumni Affairs, Development, Extended Learning, etc.

Year Completed: 1989
Square Footage: 17,400
Building Cost: $1,272,906

Andreas Black Box Theatre Andreas Black Box Theatre
The Andreas Theatre is an experimental theatre connected to the Earley Center for Performing Arts. The Andreas Theatre includes a 200 seat, 60'x70' studio theatre, concessions area, dance and movement studio, scenic and costume design studio, green room, dressing rooms and graduate assistant offices. A match grant from Lowell and Nadine Andreas stimulated other donors to cover the cost of the $3.4 million structure.

Year Completed: 2000
Square Footage: 19,469
Building Cost: $3,434,224

Andreas Observatory Andreas Observatory
Made possible by a $230,000 gift from Lowell and Nadine Andreas of Mankato. This building houses a "state of the art" telescope. In addition to classroom and research use, it is open to the public for astronomical events.

Year Completed: 1990
Square Footage: 1,863
Building Cost: $240,000

Armstrong Hall Armstrong Hall
Named in honor of Grace Armstrong, who taught professional education for 36 years (1927-63). Armstrong Hall is a classroom building.

Year Completed: 1964
Square Footage: 143,966
Building Cost: $2,009,389

Blakeslee Stadium Blakeslee Stadium

Minnesota State University, Mankato's Blakeslee Stadium was constructed in 1963, and was named in honor of Carlyn P. Blakeslee, who served the institution for 37 years (1924-61). The Seating capacity of the stadium is 8,500 seats plus 1,500 portable.

Year Completed: 1963
Square Footage: 19,433
Building Cost: $80,000

Bud Meyers Field House Bud Myers Field House
The $11 million 84,000 sq. ft. field house was completed in 2001. It is a state-of-the-art facility that supports NCAA track and field events; practice space for softball, baseball, tennis, and student intramurals; along with a multi-purpose venue for the departments of Human Performance and Recreation.

Year Completed: 2001
Square Footage: 82,308
Building Cost: $10,288,152

Carkoski Commons Carkoski Commons
The commons area linking Crawford Center and McElroy Center, known as Carkoski Commons was named in honor of Chester (Chet) A. Carkoski, in 1990. Chester Carkoski was the Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Housing from 1960 to 1973. Carkoski Commons is home to the Residential Life Office, Health Services, and a large dining area for residents of McElroy, Crawford, and Sears.

Year Completed: 1958
Square Footage: 80,200

Centennial Student Union

Centennial Student Union
Opening its doors 100 years after the founding of Mankato Normal School, this student building was named the Centennial Student Union. In 1972, a "Second Phase," three level complex was added housing a bookstore, ballroom, cafeteria, deli, gameroom, bowling alley, auditorium, and various offices. Phase III cost $5 million with a three story addition on the west end. All construction and operations have been and continue to be funded through student activity fees. Another phase affecting the building's southern exposure was completed in 2006 and cost $11 million.

Another view of the Union

Year Completed: 1967, 1972, 1999, 2006
Square Footage: 202,144

Alumni Building

Center Of Renewable Energy (CORE)
Minnesota State University, Mankato gratefully acknowledges the generous contributes of the following. With their support, the mission of the Center for Renewable Energy Research becomes a reality:

  • Minnesota Corn Growers Association
  • AgStar Financial
  • California Analytical Instruments
  • Environmental Testing Corporation
  • Fagen, Inc.
  • Harland and Jeraldean Palm
  • Minnesota State University, Mankato
  • State of Minnesota Department of Commerce
  • State of Minnesota Department of Economic Development
  • U.S. Department of Energy

The idea behind the center is to be a place where research can be done in the area of emissions testing and biofuel research. Inside the building, about 1,500 of its square footage will be dedicated to the International Renewable Energy Technology Institute (IRETI). About 4,800 will be dedicated to emissions testing.

Year Completed: 2010
Square Footage: 6300
Building Cost: $1.8 million

Crawford Center Crawford Residence Community
The center was named in honor of Clarence L. Crawford, seventh president of the institution, serving as president of Mankato State College from 1946 to 1965. A, B, and C wings were constructed in 1958. D wing was constructed in 1964.

Year Completed: 1958,1964
Square Footage: 241,406
Beds: 800

Effie R. Conkling Art Gallery Effie R. Conkling Art Gallery
Named after Emeritus Professor of Art, Effie Conkling, the Conkling Gallery enhances the education of our students by sponsoring professional exhibitions of regional, national, and international artists. The Conkling also provides gallery space for senior undergrad and graduate thesis exhibitions.

Ford Hall
The Leonard A. Ford Hall, the southeast wing of the large Trafton Science Center, was named after Dr. Leonard A. Ford, a significant figure in the history of Minnesota State University, Mankato. Dr. Ford was a professor of chemistry from 1939 until his death in 1967. He served as chairman of the Chemistry Department from 1939 to 1947, and was Chair of the Division of Science and Mathematics from 1947 to 1965. Dr. Ford had long envisioned the elevation of Mankato Teacher's College to university status, and he believed that the addition of an engineering school would achieve this goal. He worked tirelessly with professors, administrators and Minnesota state legislators to lay the groundwork for such a school.  The College of Science, Engineering and Technology now offers degree programs in several areas of the field. The dental assistant and nursing programs also owe their beginnings to Dr. Ford. In addition to the dental assistant program, the dental hygiene degree is now available. The nursing program, begun in 1950, now offers bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees in nursing. Dr. Ford's passion for science extended beyond university borders and enriched the entire community. He initiated Minnesota's first science fair in 1950. The South Central/Southwest Minnesota Regional Science and Engineering Fair is still held today and is the state's largest science fair at the elementary level. In addition, his book, Chemical Magic, is still widely used by teachers to spark the interest of young people in the field of science. The family of Dr. Ford has funded the Leonard A. Ford Lectureship, an annual event for the Department of Chemistry and Geology since 1990. They have also established a generous scholarship endowment in his name for the chemistry program.

Year:2008
Square Footage:
66783
Cost:

Gage Center

Gage Residence Community - Built 1964-65 - Imploded June 2013.
An iconic landmark for 48 years, with its two 12 story towers overlooking the Mankato river valley,"Gage" was named in honor of George M. Gage, first principal of Mankato Normal School from 1868-1872. Principal Gage was the first head of this institution to hold a Ph.D.

Built in 1964-65 when high rise residence halls were being constructed across the nation as a cost-effective way to provide housing for "baby boomers" entering college, the unairconditioned space, its buildings systems (electrical, mechanical, plumbing, windows) were past the end of their useful life in 2013. Over 50,000 Gage residents passed though its doors, but now sudent customers prefer to live in modern residence communities which provide more privacy, storage, sound attenuation and temperature control.

MSU’s twelve story dual high-rise complex, had 1,200 beds. "A" tower was constructed in 1964, "B" tower in 1965. "B" tower was renamed Maverick Hall, a change intended to enhance first-year students' success in college through integrated learning, living and social experiences on campus.

Gage was demolished in a spectacular 12 second implosion in front of an estimated 6,000 onlookers at precisely 9:30 AM Saturday, June 29, 2013.

Another view of the Gage Complex

Gage Implosion

Year Completed: 1964,1965
Year Demolished: 2013
Square Footage: 271,000
Beds: 1,200

width="284"

Elias. J. Halling Recital Hall (located in the Earley Center for Performing Arts)
Elias. J. Halling came to Mankato State University (then Mankato State Teachers College) as a vocal music teacher in 1936 and became prominent in Minnesota as a director of Mankato State choral groups, including the Madrigal Singers which he founded.

He was chairman of the Music Department and the Division of Fine and Applied Arts before becoming assistant dean of the Mankato State School of Arts and Science in 1964.  Halling retired in 1974 as associate dean of the MSU School of Arts and Science.  The recital in the MSU Performing Arts Center was named for him.

In 1980 he was presented the F. Melius Christiansen Memorial Award from the Minnesota Chapter of the American Choir Directors Association in recognition of outstanding contributions to choral music in Minnesota.  Other awards included the Minnesota Music Educator's Citation for 40 years' service in school music in Minnesota, 1966; and the Governor's Award for Outstanding Work in College Choral Music in Minnesota, from Governor Orville Freeman, 1963.

Year Completed: 1967 as part of the Earley Center for Performing Arts
Seating: 350

Hazardous Waste Building Hazardous Storage Building
This building provides storage for hazardous materials waiting to be disposed of in a proper way.

Year Completed: 1999
Square Footage: 1,540
Building Cost: $270,000

Highland Center Highland Center
The Highland Center was constructed in 1962. It includes the swimming pool, coaches offices, Intercollegiate Athletics Central Offices, Recreational Sports, and Human Performance.

Year Completed: 1962, 2003
Square Footage: 141,894
Building Cost: $2,144,780

Highland North Highland North
The Highland North was constructed in 1979 with a northern addition in 1979. It includes Schellberg Gymnasium.

Year Completed: 1979
Square Footage: 47,699
Building Cost: $3,168,300

McElroy Center McElroy Residence Community
The center was named in honor of Frank D. McElroy, sixth president of MSU. E, F, and G wings were constructed in 1961. H and I wings were constructed in 1964. (A remodeled I Hall became part of the Margaret R. Preska Residence Community in Fall, 2012.)

Year Completed: 1961,1964
Square Footage: 208,763
Beds: 1,000

Memorial Library Memorial Library

Named in honor of faculty and community members who made significant contributions to the growth of this institution and the graduates who gave their lives in service of their country. In 1992, the library underwent remodeling and a building addition was added.

Year Completed: 1967,1992
Square Footage: 246,365
Building Cost: $14,090,749

Morris Hall Morris Hall
Named in honor of history professor Albert B. Morris who was employed at MSU for 36 years from 1919 to 1955. The building houses various offices, classrooms and a dental outreach clinic. The Morris Hall addition was added in 1979.

Year Completed: 1968,1979
Square Footage: 66,761
Building Cost: $2,345,230

Nelson Hall Nelson Hall
A new Industrial Arts Building was opened in 1962. This building had modern shop facilities and classrooms and offices to accommodate the Industrial Arts and Mathematics departments. It was named Nelson Hall to honor Maurice J. Nelson who served Mankato State for forty-one years.

Year Completed: 1962,1979
Square Footage: 64,693
Building Cost: $1,847,032

Otto Recreation Center

Otto Recreation Center
First constructed as Highland Center, it served as MSU's center for physical education and athletic competition. The name was changed to "Otto Arena" in honor of former athletic director and football coach Robert "Bob" Otto. A $8.4 million remodelling was completed in Fall 2005 which converted the building's primary function to that of a fitness center. The building was renamed to Otto Recreation Center as a result.

The "Big M"

Year Completed: 1962
Year remodeled: 2005
Square Footage:
Cost: $8.4 million

Pennington Hall Pennington Hall
Named after Charles Pennington, an alumnus who had served as a volunteer with the MSU Foundation Board, the Annual Golf Classic Committee (athletics scholarship fund-raiser) and other boards and committees. The Mankato State University Foundation, Inc. took the leadership and funded the initial construction of the building. The State of Minnesota later leased the space for classrooms.

Year Completed: 1986
Square Footage: 4,196
Building Cost: $284,700

Preforming Arts Center

Earley Center for Performing Arts
The name suggests the disciplines of theater, music, and speech, which are housed within. Includes the Ted Paul Theatre (seats 529) and E.J. Halling Recital Hall (seats 350).

A nice shot of the entry way

Year Completed: 1967
Square Footage: 87,887
Building Cost: $1,785,038

Margaret R. Preska Residence Community
Named for former University President Margaret Preska (1979-1992), this
structure includes the latest in improvements for the 500 residents living there along with offices for New Student and Family Programs (aka First Year Experience). Most of the semi-suites house four residents, and a limited number of single semi-suites are available. Main floor includes classrooms and gathering spaces on floors two, three, and four of J, K, and L Halls and floors one through four in I Hall. This building is adjacent to Carkoski Commons, providing indoor access to the Carkoski Dining Hall.

Year Completed: Fall 2012
Square Footage: 109,773
Building Cost: $29,925,000

sears

Julia A. Sears Residence Hall Community
Named for Julia Sears (1840-1929) who served as the Head of the Mankato Normal School from 1872-1873. She is celebrated as the country's first female leader of a co-educational public college in the United States. While in Mankato, Sears served on the faculty as a professor of mathematics before being recommended for the position of principal by her predecessor George Gage. Under Sears, Mankato Normal School celebrated its highest enrollment to date with 121 full time students. Despite Sears' popularity, she was not asked to retun to the chief office of the institution after one year. The decision sparked a student walk out, known as the Sears Rebellion - 30 students were expelled for insubordination. She was recruited by the George Peabody Normal School in Nashville, Tennessee, where she served as the head of the Mathematics Department from 1875-1907. Sears served as a consultant to Susan B. Anthony and worked on passage of the 19th Amendment to the United States Constitution.

Year Completed: 2008
Square Footage: 150,275
Beds: 608

Standeford Observatory Standeford Observatory
Named for Leo V. Standeford, professor of astronomy at MSU from 1969 to 1981 -- was established in 1982. The telescopes there are used for visual observations by MSU students and other observatory visitors. Standeford Observatory is staffed by undergraduate student observing assistants under the supervision of Dr. James Pierce.

Year Completed: 1982
Square Footage: 200

Schellberg Gymnasium Schellberg Gymnasium
The Schellberg Gymnasium, named in honor of Ruth Schellberg, former chairperson of women’s P.E. at MSU, was added to Highland Center North.

Year Completed: 1979

Taylor Center Taylor Center
The Taylor Center, with a total area of 142,951 square feet will serves as "the" gateway to campus forstudents, alumni, friends, faculty and staff. The building is the new home for men's and women'sMaverick basketball, women's volleyball and men's wrestling.

Year Completed: 2000
Square Footage: 142,951
Building Cost: $18,410,374

Ted Paul Theatre

Ted Paul Theatre
Named in honor of professor of theatre arts and former Chairperson of the Theatre Arts Department , the theatre is used for all main stage productions.

Year Completed: 1967 as part of the Earley Center for Performing Arts
Seating:
529

Trafton Science Center Trafton Science Center
Named in honor of professor of biology and onetime Chairperson of the Division of Science and Mathematics, Gilbert H. Trafton. Trafton’s main building and the Trafton addition (1994) house various science, engineering and technology classrooms, offices and laboratories.

Year Completed: 1972,1994
Square Footage: 280,804
Building Cost: $17,245,311

Utility Plant Utility Plant
The Utility Plant provides central heating and cooling and is the distribution point of NSP provided power to the campus.

Year Completed: 1962,1992
Square Footage: 13,574
Building Cost: $1,185,000

Wiecking Center Wiecking Center
Formerly Wilson Campus High School, the building was renamed Wiecking Center in honor of Anna and Emma Wiecking who were faculty members for a combined total of 76 years. Wiecking currently houses The Children’s House, University Operations, assorted offices and classrooms. An annex was attached in 1983, which houses repair shops, including sheetmetal, carpentry, painters, etc. A storage building was added in 1987.

Year Completed: 1959,1983
Square Footage: 108,405
Building Cost: $1,764,105

Wigley Administration Building Earle J. Wigley Administration Building
Named in honor of teacher, coach and administrator Earle J. Wigley who was employed at MSU from 1933 to 1970. This building houses the President’s office, Human Resources, Academic Affairs, Fiscal Affairs and Student Affairs Offices, among other key administrative offices.

Year Completed: 1979
Square Footage: 48,933
Building Cost: $1,485,709

Wissink Building Wissink Building
Named in honor of a former chairperson of the MSU Physics Department and former MSU dean, Dr. Gerrit M. Wissink. This building houses the Academic Computer Center, offices, Mathematics and Statistics, classrooms, and the School of Nursing.

Year Completed: 1987
Square Footage: 65,725

Seating Capacities

Facility

# of Seats

Andreas Theatre

200

Blakeslee Statium

6,000 + 1,500 Portable

Centennial Student Union Ballroom

1,000

Halling Recital Hall
(located in the Earley Center for Performing Arts)

350

"Bud" Myers Field House
(bleachers only)

3,000

Ostrander Auditorium

300

Ruth Schellberg Gymnassium
(bleachers only)

350

Ted Paul Theatre

529

Trafton Auditorium C - 121

347

Trafton Auditorium C -124

150

Wiecking Auditorium

247

Taylor Center

5,000