About UsPage address: https://www.mnsu.edu/family/about.html
The Family Program seeks to provide a forum
between the University and families of our students in order to support student success, promote an appropriate role for parents within the campus community, and involve parents and families in the Maverick experience.
The best way families can help is to try to understand their student's new life. Be available to listen to your student and make suggestions, if asked. Your continuted support will help your student make a successful transition.
Families contribute to student success by:
- Understanding your student’s academic and nonacademic expectations
- Being knowledgeable about University services and resources, and encouraging your student to use those services and seek assistance independently
- Encouraging your student to set personal and academic goals and take responsibility related to academic and personal decision making
- Challenging your student to seek new experiences and become connected to the campus community
- Allowing your student to accept the consequences of his or her actions and determine future courses of action to assess what can be done to avoid undesirable outcomes.
- Knowing and understanding the access you have to student records, as outlined by federal requirements (FERPA)
We want to keep you up-to-date on what's going on around campus. By staying informed on important University developments and initiatives, you will gain a better understanding for what your student is experiencing on a day-to-day basis. But, just receiving information is not enough. We want to make sure you are actively involved in your students time here at Minnesota State Mankato.
By being informed and involved, we hope that you will consider Minnesota State Mankato as part of your family. We need you to be partner's in your student's success. Your student could not have achieved so much without your support up to this point, and while it is important to give your student the freedom to make their own choices, the power of a strong family connection cannot be underestimated. We ask that you help us make your student's undergraduate experience as valuable, healthy and fulfilling as possible.