Minnesota State Mankato is a university where you can stand out. You will find comprehensive support services, a wide variety of majors to explore, and opportunities to excel in and out of the classroom.
Undergraduate Admission Requirements
Applicants who are graduates of accredited high schools (or who hold a GED certificate) with no prior college work will be considered for admission to Minnesota State University, Mankato, based on high school courses (including Minnesota State University Preparation Standards), grades, class rank, and college entrance examinations (ACT optional).
If you are an applicant with any military training (completion of basic training and after), you will apply as a Transfer Student.
Minnesota State University, Mankato is test-optional.
You will be automatically admitted with any one of the following:
- A cumulative high school GPA of 3.0 or higher or
- A rank in the top 50% of your high school class or
- An ACT composite score of 21 or higher and a minimum cumulative high school GPA of 2.7
If you do not meet the above admission requirements, you can submit additional information for us to consider when reviewing your application. Please provide:
Personal Statement addressing the following: college readiness and ability to be successful at university-level coursework, post-secondary plans, why you want to attend Minnesota State University, Mankato, and any other challenges that may have impacted your admissibility.
Letter of Recommendation from a teacher in a core-curriculum class. The recommendation should provide insight into a student’s academic performance and readiness for college. One recommendation will complete the file, but additional letters may be submitted.
Senior Year Grades to show academic achievement in senior year. These grades can be a progress report or an updated transcript that shows up-to-date grades from senior year.
Send your Application Materials to Undergraduate Admissions
Your counselor can either send in your transcripts electronically through Naviance/Parchment or as an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org, or they can mail them to:
Office of Admissions
Minnesota State University, Mankato
122 Taylor Center
Mankato, MN 56001
Please see the Test-Optional page for flexibility on ACT/SAT Requirements.
Minnesota State Mankato is test-optional for admissions. We will make admission decisions based on high school transcripts and GPA for students that do not provide ACT or SAT scores. Students who apply will not be required to submit ACT or SAT scores to be considered for admission, and missing test scores will not be required prior to attending. If students submit test scores, they will be used in the admission process.
College Preparation Standards
Students graduating high school in the previous 3 years are subject to preparation requirements.
- English: 4 years.
- Mathematics: 3 years. Requires two years of algebra and one year of geometry.
- Science: 3 years. At least one course must be in biological science and one in physical science. All courses should include laboratory experiences. Examples of appropriate courses are anatomy and physiology, biology, botany, zoology, astronomy, earth science, chemistry, physics, physical science, and geology.
- Social Studies: 3 years. At least one course or its equivalent in US history and one in geography are required.
- World Language: 2 years of the same language. Any language, including American Sign Language (ASL), is acceptable.
- World Culture or The Arts: 1 year. World Culture courses are non-language courses that teach about other cultures, provide a global perspective, and foster an understanding of other cultures. Appropriate art courses include music, drama, survey, and visual arts.
Additional Admission Opportunities
- If you graduated from high school three or more years ago and have not had any formal schooling since high school, you will be admitted to Minnesota State University, Mankato, upon application and proof of high school graduation or satisfactory GED scores.
- If you have pursued some post-secondary education (college, university, technical school), have been out of school for at least one full year, and are now interested in returning to college, you are encouraged to apply to Minnesota State University, Mankato. Your application and transcripts will be reviewed for admission purposes on an individual basis.
Minnesota State University, Mankato is committed to enrolling a diverse student body. Admission is granted regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, or disability. The institution abides by the provisions of Title IX and by all other federal and state laws regarding equal opportunity.