Glossary of HR TermsPage address: https://www.mnsu.edu/hr/glossary/index.php?id=opq
Terms beginning with the letter(s):
- Open Enrollment
- The period of time designated by the Minnesota Management & Budget (MMB) when employees may enroll in new benefit plans or make changes to existing benefit plans.
- Compensation at 1.5 times the regular hourly rate. See applicable bargaining contract or personnel plan.
- PELRA - Public Employees Labor Relations Act
- Federal law that governs the relationships between public employers and their employees. Provisions include granting public employees the right to organize, requiring public employers to meet and negotiate with public employees and establishing the responsibilities, procedures and limitations of public employment relationships.
- Performance Evaluation
- Cumulative consideration of factors used to determine a representative indicator or appraisal of an individual's activity, in reference to a defined standard over a designated period of time. The purpose of a performance evaluation is to communicate with the employee what they are doing well, what they need to improve (if anything), and to discuss their professional development. Minnesota State Board Policy 4.9 requires all employees to have a performance evaluation once per year. (See also: Professional Development Plan)
- Personal Leave
- Excused leave (for expected or unexpected events) granted to an eligible employee. See applicable bargaining contracts or personnel plans.
- Personnel Records
- Data on individuals collected because the individual is or was an employee or an applicant for employment by performs services on a voluntary basis for, or acts as an independent contractor with a state agency, statewide system or political subdivision or is a member of, or an applicant for an advisory board or commission.
- Position Descriptions
- The formal definition of the duties, responsibilities and working relationships of a specific job. Typically includes: the primary responsibilities of the position and examples of specific tasks associated with each; working relationships inside and outside the department; knowledge skills and abilities necessary to perform the job; the kinds of creativity and problem-solving abilities required as well as the degree of autonomy allowed.
- Private Data
- Data on individuals which is available only to the individual, his/her authorized representative, authorized state agencies, and those other individuals or entities authorized to see the data. Data maintained by a government entity not specifically designated as public and thus not available to the public. For State Employees this includes, but is not limited to, social security number, date of birth, home address, phone number, medical information, ethnicity, gender etc.
- Professional Development Plan
- Addresses individual needs to improve performance in work-related activities and balances those developmental needs with the needs of the organization. It focuses on improving employee learning and growth, and includes documentation of the timeframe, measurement indicators, and desired outcomes of professional development activities.
- Protected Classes
- Groups of people protected from discrimination under government regulations and laws. The specific groups are defined as women, Blacks, Hispanics, Asians/Pacific Islanders, or American Indians/Alaskan Natives, people over 40, the disabled as defined under Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act and disabled veterans and Vietnam-era veterans as defined under the Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act.
- Public Data
- Data maintained by a government entity accessible to anyone upon request, unless classified as nonpublic, private or confidential by state or federal law. Public data on current and former state employees is governed by Minn. State 13.43, subd. 2.
- No Entries