Workplace Environment Policy
(If the video does not play, Click Here!)
- Who is "everyone"? EVERYONE MEANS EVERY ONE! All students, faculty, administrators, staff, visitors, volunteers, and all other persons.
- What is "violence"? JUST WHAT YOU WERE TAUGHT IN SCHOOL: Direct or indirect physical or verbal assault, threat, or intimidating behavior. Examples: Disorderly conduct, throwing or pushing objects, punching walls, slamming doors, hitting, slapping, or any unwanted physical contact.
- What is "harassment"? IT IS OFTEN CALLED BULLYING! Direct or indirect behavior that interferes with another's work. Examples: Abusive or offensive behavior, mean emails, constant unwarranted criticism, intimidation, inconsistent enforcement of rules, unreasonable job demands, malicious statements, withholding resources and information to prevent others from doing their job.
- Everyone must be decent to others at work, on state property, or anywhere they conduct Minnesota State Mankato business.
- Everyone is prohibited from subjecting others to any violence, threats or harassment.
- Violence or harassment will not be tolerated or ignored.
- If you break these rules you may be: removed from the premises, disciplined up to and including being fired, possibly arrested and prosecuted. (All within the parameters of the applicable bargaining agreement, of course.)
- Respect the principles of freedom of speech/expression and academic freedom.
- Refrain from violence and harassment.
- Seek assistance to resolve personal issues that may lead to workplace violence and/or harassment.
- Resolve issues informally and directly with the individual(s) involved whenever possible.
- Report unresolved incidents in accordance with the Employee Complaint Procedure.