Board Policy 4.9 requires all employees to have a performance evaluation once per year.
The purpose of a performance evaluation is to assist the employee in understanding what they are doing well, what they need to improve (if anything), and to discuss professional development. Every collective bargaining agreement and personnel plan covering all Minnesota State Mankato employees includes a provision relating to annual performance evaluations.
Conducting An Evaluation
Although performance evaluations are conducted annually, it is good practice to provide the employee feedback regarding their performance throughout the year, in addition to any formal procedure. In addition, this provides an opportunity to review and or update the employee's position description as well.
- Access the applicable form for performance evaluations (Above or on the HR web site under Forms ).
- Utilize the current position description when completing the evaluation
- Set aside time to complete the evaluation so as not to be interrupted
- Give real thought to your responses, utilize the comment sections
- Be fair and objective in completing the evaluation
- Base your responses on the performance over the entire past year
- Do not be afraid to let the employee know about areas where there is a need for improvement
- Be honest about your observations of their performance
- Don't complete just for the sake of completing
- Schedule a time in advance, in a quiet and private location, to meet with the employee to go over the evaluation
- Discuss the evaluation in detail and provide feedback
- Talk about goals for the upcoming year
- Allow the employee to make comments
- Secure the signature of the employee
- Ensure you sign the evaluation as the supervisor/rater
- Secure your supervisor's signature
- Keep a copy for your files
- Forward the completed evaluation to Human Resources in a timely fashion
If an incident occurs and you believe that any form of discipline or corrective action may be appropriate, Please refer to the Protocol for Corrective and Disciplinary Action procedure below.
For further specific information please contact Human Resources at 389-2015.